Hopes Tesco parking application can tackle Welwyn Garden City ‘nuisance’
- Credit: Archant
PLANS for a three-storey car park at a Welwyn Garden City business park will end a congestion nightmare for neighbours, a supermarket giant has said.
A bid to build the new parking spot in Shire Park, and retain a temporary car park, has been lodged on behalf of Tesco.
The supermarket chain, which has its national headquarters on the site, says there is currently a shortfall of nearly 800 spaces each day, which has led to problems on neighbouring roads.
A planning application submitted on behalf of Tesco – which employs 5,300 staff on Shire Park – said: “The long term car parking issues at Shire Park continue to cause nuisance to local residents, other users of Shire Park, and affect the viability of Tesco’s operations at the site.”
The three-storey car park would contain 400 spaces, and Tesco hopes to retain a temporary car park – in use since 2011 – with 241 spaces. It says there is currently a deficit of 792 spaces each day.
You may also want to watch:
Ward councillor Tony Crump, pictured, backed the plans, stating: “This should mop up all the excess of the cars for Tesco.”
- 1 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 2 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 3 What time will the election results come in?
- 4 Billy Joe Saunders v Saul Canelo Alvarez - as it happened
- 5 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 6 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 7 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17
- 8 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 9 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 10 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog