Hertfordshire speed limit consultation could see 20mph zones introduced to protect pedestrians and cyclists
- Credit: Archant
A new Hertfordshire County Council consultation on introducing speed limits has been announced.
The new strategy is seeking residents views on 20mph speed limits to protect pedestrians and cyclists.
Suggested measures also include changing the way speed limits are decided, so they more consistently match the design of the road and the way it is used, as well as clearer guidelines on the design, enforcement and traffic calming measures needed to actually reduce traffic speeds.
Cllr Phil Bibby, HCC cabinet member for highways and environment, said: “We want Hertfordshire’s roads to be safe for all road users, and making sure we have the right speed limits in the right places is an important part of that.
“In particular, we want people to feel safe walking and cycling, and to make sure that residential areas and town centres feel like safe and pleasant places.”
You may also want to watch:
The draft Speed Management Strategy supports the county council’s Local Transport Plan, which sets out the vision for transport in Hertfordshire, and in particular how active travel such as walking and cycling can play a bigger role in helping people get around.
To view the draft Speed Management Strategy and comment on it, go to hertfordshire.gov.uk/about-the-council/consultations/transport-and-highways/speed-strategy-2020.aspx.
- 1 Arrests made following stop and searches – including teenager with baton
- 2 Banned driver jailed following high-speed police chase
- 3 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 4 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 5 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 6 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 9 How Welwyn's White Hart pub improvised after £100K kitchen inferno
- 10 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas