Helium balloons cause mass delays for Welwyn Hatfield commuters
- Credit: Archant
Two helium balloons that got caught in the overhead electric wires caused delays for Welwyn Hatfield commuters this morning.
Two helium balloons were spotted by a driver wrapped around the 25kV overhead power lines at Brookmans Park station.
A Great Northern spokesman said: “All services had to be diverted via the fast line to Welwyn Garden City until Network Rail engineers removed it shortly before 10am causing delays across our network.”
The 9.34am train from London Kings Cross to Peterborough was delayed by eight minutes at Brookmans Park Station and didn’t serve Welwyn Garden City and Welwyn North due to the balloons being caught on the overhead electric wires.
Three other services serving between Stevenage and London King’s Cross and Moorgate were also delayed by 10 minutes because of the troublesome balloons.
You may also want to watch:
The 10.55am Cambridge to London Kings Cross is still experiencing delays following the issue and is expected to be 15 minutes late to each stop.
- 1 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 2 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 3 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 4 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
- 7 Woman verbally abused and threatened at petrol station
- 8 9 huge shows and music festivals to look forward to in Hertfordshire in 2022
- 9 Welwyn Garden City battle adversity to win at Didcot Town
- 10 A giant of a show is coming to Welwyn Garden City as Campus West panto returns with Jack & the Beanstalk