Hatfield station in the running for national accolade
- Credit: Archant
Hatfield station has been shortlisted for an award which celebrates the success of local and national transport projects.
The station, which is run by Great Northern, is one of the finalists in the ‘rail station of the year’ category at the National Transport Awards.
A seven-stage programme of work at the station, organised by Govia and Hertfordshire County Council, was completed in March and cost £12.5million.
The programme introduced step-free access, a multi-storey car park and more retail space, as well as extending the station building.
The station was also given a new bus interchange with a taxi rank and additional secure bicycle storage, energy efficient holophane LED lighting and an automatic number plate recognition system for payment.
You may also want to watch:
At the official opening, hereditary owner of Hatfield House Lord Salisbury described the new-look station as “a flagship for a new Hatfield”.
Great Northern’s passenger services director Keith Jipps said: “A few years ago Hatfield station was rather uninspiring. Today it is accessible to all, with new ramps to the front of the station, as well as lifts between platforms.
- 1 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 2 Supermarket evacuated and fire services called following ‘strong smell of gas’
- 3 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 4 Chatty duo want to help build community with conversation
- 5 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Robot assists with cancer operations at Lister Hospital
- 8 Drugs worth £50,000 found in van pulled over for fly-tipping
- 9 Lessons from Auschwitz: Why we must keep talking about the Holocaust
- 10 May 17: What can open when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday?
“The station now boasts some excellent retail outlets for our passengers and, most importantly, helps them to consider more sustainable transport options to get to and from the station, through the excellent multi-modal interchange.”
The winners of each category will be announced on October 13, 2016.