Hatfield station in the running for national accolade
- Credit: Archant
Hatfield station has been shortlisted for an award which celebrates the success of local and national transport projects.
The station, which is run by Great Northern, is one of the finalists in the ‘rail station of the year’ category at the National Transport Awards.
A seven-stage programme of work at the station, organised by Govia and Hertfordshire County Council, was completed in March and cost £12.5million.
The programme introduced step-free access, a multi-storey car park and more retail space, as well as extending the station building.
The station was also given a new bus interchange with a taxi rank and additional secure bicycle storage, energy efficient holophane LED lighting and an automatic number plate recognition system for payment.
At the official opening, hereditary owner of Hatfield House Lord Salisbury described the new-look station as “a flagship for a new Hatfield”.
Great Northern’s passenger services director Keith Jipps said: “A few years ago Hatfield station was rather uninspiring. Today it is accessible to all, with new ramps to the front of the station, as well as lifts between platforms.
- 1 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 2 First business moves into Hatfield's new £45m High View development
- 3 Man injured while working in Hatfield Business Park
- 4 Potters Bar school in top 10 of The Sunday Times Schools Guide 2022
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Where can you get a walk-in booster in Welwyn Hatfield this week?
- 7 Suspected stabbing in Welwyn Garden City
- 8 "The older generation still knows how to have a good time"
- 9 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 10 Meet the authors behind a new architecture book on Welwyn and Welwyn Garden City
“The station now boasts some excellent retail outlets for our passengers and, most importantly, helps them to consider more sustainable transport options to get to and from the station, through the excellent multi-modal interchange.”
The winners of each category will be announced on October 13, 2016.