Hatfield station in the running for national accolade
- Credit: Archant
Hatfield station has been shortlisted for an award which celebrates the success of local and national transport projects.
The station, which is run by Great Northern, is one of the finalists in the ‘rail station of the year’ category at the National Transport Awards.
A seven-stage programme of work at the station, organised by Govia and Hertfordshire County Council, was completed in March and cost £12.5million.
The programme introduced step-free access, a multi-storey car park and more retail space, as well as extending the station building.
The station was also given a new bus interchange with a taxi rank and additional secure bicycle storage, energy efficient holophane LED lighting and an automatic number plate recognition system for payment.
You may also want to watch:
At the official opening, hereditary owner of Hatfield House Lord Salisbury described the new-look station as “a flagship for a new Hatfield”.
Great Northern’s passenger services director Keith Jipps said: “A few years ago Hatfield station was rather uninspiring. Today it is accessible to all, with new ramps to the front of the station, as well as lifts between platforms.
- 1 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 2 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 3 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 6 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 7 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 Skills the way forward for Hertfordshire’s Covid recovery as new strategy launched
- 9 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 10 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
“The station now boasts some excellent retail outlets for our passengers and, most importantly, helps them to consider more sustainable transport options to get to and from the station, through the excellent multi-modal interchange.”
The winners of each category will be announced on October 13, 2016.