Gas leak causes rush-hour traffic chaos in Welwyn
EMERGENCY repair work to fix a gas leak caused rush-hour chaos in and around Welwyn this morning (Wednesday).
A lane of the A1000 underneath the A1(M) motorway, near the Welwyn Roman Baths, was cordoned off by National Grid workmen.
The resulting backlog of traffic saw cars backed through Woolmer Green towards Knebworth, and also through Codicote.
Some motorists reported delays of an hour or more as they tried to get to work this morning.
A National Grid spokeswoman said a passer-by reported a smell of gas just before 7.30pm last night.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “We had engineers on site overnight and this morning.
“We’re hoping to have the lane re-opened by lunchtime, all being well.”
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Tenant's despair over bill for council tax on mouldy flat
- 4 Christmas event plans revealed for Welwyn Hatfield
- 5 Fireworks displays in Hertfordshire for Bonfire Night 2021
- 6 Businesses to decide on future of Welwyn Garden City BID as renewal campaign gets underway
- 7 Councillor Steven Markiewicz dies from illness after 17 years of service
- 8 Drink spiking: University of Hertfordshire students join Girls Night In protest
- 9 Ex-England star returns to former school for launch of environmental football campaign
- 10 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?