Gas leak causes rush-hour traffic chaos in Welwyn
EMERGENCY repair work to fix a gas leak caused rush-hour chaos in and around Welwyn this morning (Wednesday).
A lane of the A1000 underneath the A1(M) motorway, near the Welwyn Roman Baths, was cordoned off by National Grid workmen.
The resulting backlog of traffic saw cars backed through Woolmer Green towards Knebworth, and also through Codicote.
Some motorists reported delays of an hour or more as they tried to get to work this morning.
A National Grid spokeswoman said a passer-by reported a smell of gas just before 7.30pm last night.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “We had engineers on site overnight and this morning.
“We’re hoping to have the lane re-opened by lunchtime, all being well.”
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 5 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 6 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 9 Council named wrong town planner as Garden City's principle creator
- 10 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston