Gas leak causes rush-hour traffic chaos in Welwyn
EMERGENCY repair work to fix a gas leak caused rush-hour chaos in and around Welwyn this morning (Wednesday).
A lane of the A1000 underneath the A1(M) motorway, near the Welwyn Roman Baths, was cordoned off by National Grid workmen.
The resulting backlog of traffic saw cars backed through Woolmer Green towards Knebworth, and also through Codicote.
Some motorists reported delays of an hour or more as they tried to get to work this morning.
A National Grid spokeswoman said a passer-by reported a smell of gas just before 7.30pm last night.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “We had engineers on site overnight and this morning.
“We’re hoping to have the lane re-opened by lunchtime, all being well.”
- 1 Is Hertfordshire set to become the new British Hollywood?
- 2 Taxi driver found guilty of driving offences
- 3 Enjoy the park but treat it with the respect it deserves, says manager
- 4 Is the era of face-to-face GP appointments over in Hertfordshire?
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Driving scheme for 10 to 17 year olds launches in Hatfield
- 7 Travel blogger quarantined in Canada after returning home for funeral
- 8 Pregnant woman jailed for more than two years for killing cyclist
- 9 ‘I want to inspire people’ - fundraiser set for sky dive in memory of mother
- 10 Galleria launches 'We Love Local' venture for businesses