Flooding wreaks havoc across Welwyn Hatfield as several roads close
- Credit: Archant
Numerous roads have been closed after flash flooding wreaked havoc across Welwyn Hatfield this afternoon.
A police spokeswoman said Hertford Road in Welwyn is “completely underwater”, while nearby Harmer Green Lane and New Road are badly flooded.
Wel/Hat North Police tweeted that New Road had “partially collapsed” and urged motorists to avoid the area.
Officers were also called to reports of flooding in Great North Road in Welwyn Garden City, as well as Great Ganett – where a manhole cover has come away – and residents have blocked the road.
The county council and Herts Fire and Rescue Service are currently dealing with the incidents, but residents are being warned to plan ahead before travelling.
You may also want to watch:
Updates to follow.
- 1 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 2 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 3 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 4 Coroner rules Joy Morgan death 'unlawful killing' but finds no cause at inquest
- 5 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 6 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 7 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
- 8 COVID-19 outbreaks now in half of all Herts care homes
- 9 Bank becomes latest to be lost from town centre
- 10 Former Spitfire and Hurricane engineer celebrates 100th birthday