First Capital Connect trains will not be running until ‘this afternoon’ after storm damage
- Credit: Archant
Trains will not be running through Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield and Potters Bar until “this afternoon” after the storm damaged overhead power lines and trees blocked the track.
First Capital Connect took the precaution of cancelling services last night (Sunday) ahead of the gale force winds battering the county.
FCC, which operates the Great Northern service through Knebworth, Welwyn North, Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield, Welham Green, Brookmans Park and Potters Bar, initially said no trains are likely to run before 9am on Monday at the earliest because of the weather.
But now it has revealed there will be no trains running until this afternoon.
A spokesman from the rail operator said: “At the moment there is no service on the Great Northern route.
You may also want to watch:
“This is due to damage to overhead power lines and trees on the track at a number of locations.
“There is no way we can run a safe service on that line.
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 5 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 6 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 9 Youngsters playing their part as Welwyn Garden City look to continue punching above their weight
- 10 Aspirations to win the league has Ben Spaul excited to be back at Welwyn
“Hopefully we will be able to have some sort of service running this afternoon.”
Network Rail has been called and is attempting to make the line safe.
For updates on the impact of the storm keep checking the Welwyn Hatfield Time’s website.
If you have any pictures send them to email@example.com