First Capital Connect trains will not be running until ‘this afternoon’ after storm damage
- Credit: Archant
Trains will not be running through Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield and Potters Bar until “this afternoon” after the storm damaged overhead power lines and trees blocked the track.
First Capital Connect took the precaution of cancelling services last night (Sunday) ahead of the gale force winds battering the county.
FCC, which operates the Great Northern service through Knebworth, Welwyn North, Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield, Welham Green, Brookmans Park and Potters Bar, initially said no trains are likely to run before 9am on Monday at the earliest because of the weather.
But now it has revealed there will be no trains running until this afternoon.
A spokesman from the rail operator said: “At the moment there is no service on the Great Northern route.
You may also want to watch:
“This is due to damage to overhead power lines and trees on the track at a number of locations.
“There is no way we can run a safe service on that line.
- 1 Planning application submitted for 173-space car park and mobile café at park
- 2 Preparation works under way for Stonehills revamp
- 3 Man suffers fractured skull and bleed on the brain after pub assault
- 4 What to do if you see these hazardous caterpillars in a park
- 5 Delight for performing arts school as song hits number one in iTunes classical charts
- 6 Mum's proud of soldier son's guard of honour role at Prince Philip's funeral
- 7 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 8 'These heroes deserve a proper pay rise' - Demonstration of support for NHS workers to be held outside New QEII
- 9 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 10 NHS hired conman on £320,000 five months after he was unmasked
“Hopefully we will be able to have some sort of service running this afternoon.”
Network Rail has been called and is attempting to make the line safe.
For updates on the impact of the storm keep checking the Welwyn Hatfield Time’s website.
If you have any pictures send them to email@example.com