First Capital Connect offers reduced rail service in the wake of storm
- Credit: Archant
A reduced rail service is all that First Capital Connect can offer commuters hit by storm disruption tonight (Monday).
All trains that would have stopped in Welwyn Garden City, Welwyn North, Knebworth, Hatfield and Potters Bar were cancelled this morning.
The decision was made last night, before Storm St Jude’s gale force winds battered the county.
Today the rail operator revealed the winds ripped trees onto the tracks and pulled down overhead power lines.
FCC was forced to suspend services, but now limited routes are available.
You may also want to watch:
It is hoped it will be business as usual tomorrow (Tuesday).
A statement on the firm’s website revealed: “We expect to run to the full timetable tomorrow (Tuesday) but urge passengers to check before they travel on the First Capital Connect website and on Twitter @firstCC, especially on the Thameslink route where Network Rail will be carrying out emergency engineering work right up until start of service tomorrow morning.
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 3 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 4 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 5 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 6 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 7 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 8 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 9 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 10 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
Emergency engineering work also needs to be completed by Network Rail on overhead power lines at Hatfield and New Southgate for us to run a full service tomorrow morning (Tuesday). Again, passengers should check before they travel.
For the remainder of today, the following services are running:
•London St Pancras International - Brighton (calling at all stations) and return
•London Blackfriars - Mitcham Junction - Sutton - Wimbledon - London Blackfriars (calling at all stations) in one direction only
•Luton – Bedford (with a limited connecting bus service between Stanmore on the Jubilee line, St Albans, Harpenden, Luton Airport Parkway and Luton)
•King’s Cross - Peterborough (calling at Finsbury Park, Potters Bar, Hatfield, Welwyn and all stations to and from Peterborough)
•Moorgate – Hertford North (calling at all stations)
•Moorgate – Welwyn Garden City (calling at all stations except Harringay, Hornsey and Welham Green in the northbound direction, use local bus or travel via Alexandra Palace for Harringay and Hornsey and via Hatfield for Welham Green)
•Cambridge – King’s Lynn
•Buses only Hitchin – Cambridge but service may resume soon
•Taxis only for Watton-at-Stone – arranged from Stevenage or Hertford