Delays to Welwyn road schemes
A SERIES of road improvements in a village have been pushed back by council budget constraints.
A yet-to-be-arranged meeting between Hertfordshire County Council and Welwyn Parish Council will decide when works, including the painting of yellow lines and the development of a mini roundabout as part of the Welwyn Parish Plan Highway Improvements will go ahead.
The works, which also include dropped kerbs and new waiting restrictions, were due for the 2011/12 financial year.
However, it was reported in the WHT last month that plans for the mini roundabout would not be going ahead this year.
Now it has been revealed the other minor works have yet to be “agreed”.
You may also want to watch:
Parish councillor Ian Skidmore told the WHT he was disappointed to hear the news.
He said: “While we are disappointed that the roundabout will not be funded this year and not-a-little annoyed that we had to learn about this from the press rather than being informed by the county council when the decision had been taken, we are pleased to note that this project remains on the books for funding in the future.”
- 1 Planning application submitted for 173-space car park and mobile café at park
- 2 Preparation works under way for Stonehills revamp
- 3 Man suffers fractured skull and bleed on the brain after pub assault
- 4 What to do if you see these hazardous caterpillars in a park
- 5 Delight for performing arts school as song hits number one in iTunes classical charts
- 6 Mum's proud of soldier son's guard of honour role at Prince Philip's funeral
- 7 'These heroes deserve a proper pay rise' - Demonstration of support for NHS workers to be held outside New QEII
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 10 Pregnant woman jailed for more than two years for killing cyclist
Cllr Skidmore, who is also secretary of the Welwyn Parish Plan Action Group, added: “While this is a delay to one part of our programme the rest of the plan moves forward.
“It has been running since summer 2008 and we anticipate it will continue for several more years adjusting itself to changing conditions and demands as it proceeds.”
A county council spokeswoman said: “Unfortunately, due to budget constraints, we are not able to fund the roundabout works at this site in the 2011/12 financial year.
“However, the scheme has been designed and consulted upon and we will be installing various aspects of the project, including the roundabout, as funds become available in future years.
“We will be carrying out minor works in the area in 2011/12 – the extent of these works will be agreed with the parish council and the local county councillor in the next few months.”