Hatfield Tunnel closure leads to major delays on surrounding roads
- Credit: Archant
There are several delays on roads near the A1(M) after the Hatfield Tunnel was shut.
The tunnel was closed in both directions this morning due to safety concerns caused by a power cut which affected 76,000 south Herts residents yesterday.
Roads near Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City and St Albans - which are being used to divert traffic from the A1(M) - have all been disrupted, according to Herts Highways.
Two back-up generators are running but these are only for essential services - which is causing the disruption.
"The power outage in the tunnel means that safety features, such as CCTV, smoke ventilation systems, cross tunnel doors and emergency lighting won't be operable in the event of an incident in the tunnel," a spokesman for Highways England told WHT.
You may also want to watch:
"Therefore as a safety precaution, the decision was taken to close the tunnel in both directions while engineers worked to get the power up and running again".
Currently, the diversion information is as follows:
- 1 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 2 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 3 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 4 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 5 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 6 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 7 What time will the election results come in?
- 8 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 9 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 10 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
Southbound: Drivers should follow the hollow triangle symbol from the A1(M) junction 4 exit slip 'Clock' roundabout and take the third exit towards Hatfield/A1001. At the next roundabout take the third exit towards St Albans/A1001. At the 'Galleria' roundabout take the second exit towards Conley Heath/A1001. At the 'Roehyde' roundabout take the second exit heading towards London/ A1(M). At the next roundabout take the second exit to join the A1(M) junction 2.
Northbound: Drivers heading northbound should follow the solid diamond symbol from the A1(M) junction 3 and take the second exit on the 'Roehyde' roundabout towards Hatfield. At the 'Galleria' roundabout take the second exit. At the next roundabout take the third exit following directions for 'Motorway and Hertford A1001 (A414)'. At the next 'Clock' roundabout take the second exit to re-join the A1(M) at junction 4.
UK Power Network engineers are hoping get the power up and running as soon as possible. It is expected that the tunnel will re-open at 12pm, which should ease traffic in the area.