Crash and breakdown causes long delays on A1(M) and M25
A SEEMINGLY small collision caused an enormous headache for commuters on the A1(M) and the M25 this morning.
At around 8am today (Thursday), an HGV collided with a van on the junction interchange of the two motorways at South Mimms.
No one was injured, and the vehicles were not seriously damaged, but the problem was compounded when the HGV’s clutch failed.
That meant a heavy tow truck had to be called to move the broken down HGV – closing two lanes of the junction interchange by necessity.
The recovery caused huge tailbacks on both the A1(M) and the M25.
You may also want to watch:
In particular, the A1(M) southbound carriageway was backed up from the interchange at junction one to junction three Hatfield.
The ant-clockwise carriageway of the M25 was also badly effected, with queues from the interchange at junction 23 to junction 26.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 7 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 8 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 9 'This is history!' - 25 facts about the Oasis concerts at Knebworth Park 25 years ago
- 10 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
A Highways Agency spokesman said the HGV was removed and the interchange fully re-opened shortly after 10.30am.
“The incident itself wasn’t particularly complex,” he said. “It was the logistics of getting a heavy recovery vehicle through all that traffic.
“We had some fairly severe congestion on the A1M back to around junction three, and on the M25 back to between junction 26 and 27.”