Car park changes for Welwyn Hatfield
CONCERNS have been raised that residents may be confused by the introduction of a new car park payment scheme being launched this week across the borough.
All entry and exit barriers will be removed from car parks run by Welwyn Hatfield Council and a new state-of-the-art system will record your car’s registration as you arrive and leave. The number plate will be automatically recorded and if drivers fail to pay up, their details will be matched to the DVLA database and a �70 fine will be issued.
The scheme has been introduced as the old pay station equipment needed upgrading.
Its benefits include a variety of ways to pay – either at the pay station before you leave or when you return, via phone, text or on the internet – and will save the council, and therefore taxpayers, around �50,000 a year.
A council spokeswoman said: “The council’s pay-on-exit car park system has been in place for a number of years, and regular visitors to WGC, who use the council’s car parks, will be used to how it operates.
You may also want to watch:
“It is anticipated the new system will become second nature very quickly. However, we appreciate that some may initially find it confusing.”
Councillor Roger Trigg echoed the spokeswoman’s concerns. He said: “This technology is new and it may result in some confusion among users of the car park.
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 3 Lack of confidence in Welwyn Hatfield council following housing safety scandal
- 4 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 5 Welwyn Garden City's Jodie Williams eases into Olympic 400m semi-final
- 6 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Potters Bar Town delighted with successful return of beer and music festival
- 9 It's coming home! Welwyn Garden City's Commemoration Jug claimed by Reis Suart
- 10 Jodie Williams gunning for gold after barrier-breaking personal best at Tokyo 2020 Olympics
“To alleviate this, staff will be actively patrolling the car parks as the new system is introduced to offer help or advice to users if they need it.”
Private company CP Plus took over the running of the council’s car parks in July.