Tunnel vision: Hatfield makes list of the UK’s 14 longest road tunnels
- Credit: Archant
Road tunnels are impressive feats of engineering and now the 14 longest in Britain have been revealed with one in Hatfield making the top 10.
When it comes to a road trip no one particularly enjoys driving through a tunnel.
In tribute to the engineers of yesteryear who literally moved mountains so our journey times could be reduced, researchers from LeaseVan.co.uk have identified the 14 road tunnels covering the greatest distances in Britain.
Included in the list is the Hatfield Tunnel that takes the A1(M) under The Galleria shopping centre.
A spokesman of LeaseVan.co.uk said: “Everyone remembers sitting in the back of the car as a child as the world suddenly goes dark.
You may also want to watch:
“There’s still something mysterious about emerging on the other side of a river, for example, without seeing the water.
“But our customers also realise the vital importance of tunnels to connect businesses and communities.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Pregnant woman jailed for more than two years for killing cyclist
- 3 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 4 Enjoy the park but treat it with the respect it deserves, says manager
- 5 Fantastic florist and art gallery opens in Hatfield following lockdown easing
- 6 School donates textbooks to help communities in Kenya
- 7 Explosive new Fast & Furious 9 trailer and UK release date revealed
- 8 Tributes to 'fearless and magnificent' former Queenswood School pupil and Peaky Blinders star Helen McCrory
- 9 'Iconic' new statue of Ebenezer Howard unveiled
- 10 Homes damaged by people throwing bricks
“Not only do they showcase British architecture, they help you get you to your destination much quicker.”