Tunnel vision: Hatfield makes list of the UK’s 14 longest road tunnels
- Credit: Archant
Road tunnels are impressive feats of engineering and now the 14 longest in Britain have been revealed with one in Hatfield making the top 10.
When it comes to a road trip no one particularly enjoys driving through a tunnel.
In tribute to the engineers of yesteryear who literally moved mountains so our journey times could be reduced, researchers from LeaseVan.co.uk have identified the 14 road tunnels covering the greatest distances in Britain.
Included in the list is the Hatfield Tunnel that takes the A1(M) under The Galleria shopping centre.
A spokesman of LeaseVan.co.uk said: “Everyone remembers sitting in the back of the car as a child as the world suddenly goes dark.
You may also want to watch:
“There’s still something mysterious about emerging on the other side of a river, for example, without seeing the water.
“But our customers also realise the vital importance of tunnels to connect businesses and communities.
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 3 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 6 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 7 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 8 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 9 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 10 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
“Not only do they showcase British architecture, they help you get you to your destination much quicker.”