Tunnel vision: Hatfield makes list of the UK’s 14 longest road tunnels
- Credit: Archant
Road tunnels are impressive feats of engineering and now the 14 longest in Britain have been revealed with one in Hatfield making the top 10.
When it comes to a road trip no one particularly enjoys driving through a tunnel.
In tribute to the engineers of yesteryear who literally moved mountains so our journey times could be reduced, researchers from LeaseVan.co.uk have identified the 14 road tunnels covering the greatest distances in Britain.
Included in the list is the Hatfield Tunnel that takes the A1(M) under The Galleria shopping centre.
A spokesman of LeaseVan.co.uk said: “Everyone remembers sitting in the back of the car as a child as the world suddenly goes dark.
You may also want to watch:
“There’s still something mysterious about emerging on the other side of a river, for example, without seeing the water.
“But our customers also realise the vital importance of tunnels to connect businesses and communities.
- 1 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 2 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 3 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 4 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 5 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 6 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 7 Football fanatic honoured with FA award for services to grassroots game
- 8 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 9 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 10 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
“Not only do they showcase British architecture, they help you get you to your destination much quicker.”