Tunnel vision: Hatfield makes list of the UK’s 14 longest road tunnels
- Credit: Archant
Road tunnels are impressive feats of engineering and now the 14 longest in Britain have been revealed with one in Hatfield making the top 10.
When it comes to a road trip no one particularly enjoys driving through a tunnel.
In tribute to the engineers of yesteryear who literally moved mountains so our journey times could be reduced, researchers from LeaseVan.co.uk have identified the 14 road tunnels covering the greatest distances in Britain.
Included in the list is the Hatfield Tunnel that takes the A1(M) under The Galleria shopping centre.
A spokesman of LeaseVan.co.uk said: “Everyone remembers sitting in the back of the car as a child as the world suddenly goes dark.
“There’s still something mysterious about emerging on the other side of a river, for example, without seeing the water.
“But our customers also realise the vital importance of tunnels to connect businesses and communities.
- 1 'Garden thieves' caught on camera in Welwyn
- 2 Welwyn Garden City school earns prestigious development award
- 3 TfL removes over 100 London buses after EV blaze in Potters Bar
- 4 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 5 Spectacular Grade II listed home near Hatfield on the market for £3m
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 Cuffley home care company recognised among best in east of England
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Fifteen-year-old boy hospitalised after reported stabbing in Hatfield
- 10 Local man will be flying high in an effort to raise much needed funds for Potential Kids
“Not only do they showcase British architecture, they help you get you to your destination much quicker.”