Air-conditioned train now running on Great Northern route
- Credit: Archant
The first of a fleet of new, air-conditioned trains is now running on the Great Northern route which goes through Welwyn North, Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield, Welham Green, Brookmans Park and Potters Bar.
The first Class 387/1 train began running on the Great Northern route on Monday, October 10.
All trains being introduced this autumn feature two-by-two seating with tables and power points throughout, modern passenger information systems, spaces for people in wheelchairs, fully accessible toilets and other features for people with disabilities.
This initial four-carriage train is running six services every day between King’s Cross and Cambridge/Letchworth Garden City. More services will follow.
Great Northern passenger services director Keith Jipps said: “We’re thrilled the new train is in service. Passengers have said they think it’s a vast improvement.
You may also want to watch:
“They think it’s light and airy and welcome the two-by-two seating.”
The new trains are part of a wide range of proposed service changes and improvements on Great Northern for 2018, including new cross-London Thameslink services which will give passengers from Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar routes into London Blackfriars and beyond.
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Lack of confidence in Welwyn Hatfield council following housing safety scandal
- 3 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 4 Welwyn Garden City's Jodie Williams eases into Olympic 400m semi-final
- 5 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 6 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Potters Bar Town delighted with successful return of beer and music festival
- 9 It's coming home! Welwyn Garden City's Commemoration Jug claimed by Reis Suart
- 10 Jodie Williams gunning for gold after barrier-breaking personal best at Tokyo 2020 Olympics