A414 shuts near Welwyn Garden City... thanks to swan
WHY did the swan cross the road?
It sounds like the start of a joke, but it was no joke for motorists on the A414, who were held up this morning (Friday) due to a long-necked bird attempting to cross the eastbound junction, near WGC.
The swan was spotted on the outside lane of the dual carriageway close to the junction of the B195, at around 8.20am.
Police closed off both lanes as they attempted to shoo the bird to safety.
One eye witness who was passing in the other direction told the Welwyn Hatfield Times: “It was like a scene from the Chuckle Brothers, as one officer was filming with a camera and another was trying to shoo a very angry swan away.”
You may also want to watch:
A police spokesman said the RSPCA had been called to retrieve the swan.
- 1 YMCA overdose victims claim 'neglectful support service' at Welwyn Garden City facility
- 2 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 3 Nearly 30 Insulate Britain protestors arrested this morning
- 4 Bargains for shoppers at exclusive Hatfield Galleria VIP event
- 5 Arson attack on two cars in Hatfield street
- 6 Ed Sheeran announces 2022 stadium tour: How to get tickets
- 7 Slam Dunk Festival 2022 dates announced for Queen's Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend
- 8 First Slam Dunk Festival 2022 headliners announced for Hatfield Park
- 9 Remembering the life of daring test pilot Geoffrey de Havilland Jr - 75 years on from his tragic death
- 10 Riding charity holds online art and photography competition