Police car involved in A1(M) crash between Stevenage and Welwyn
- Credit: Peter Gill
A police car was involved in a crash which closed the A1(M) between Stevenage and Welwyn last night.
The marked police vehicle was responding to an incident in challenging weather conditions, lost control and left the carriageway between Junction 7 for Stevenage and 6 for Welwyn at about 10pm.
The two officers inside the BMW X5 were assisted by members of the public and have been taken to hospital with serious but not life-threatening injuries.
Highways England reported that the road was closed in both directions to allow police officers to investigate the scene, but they have now both reopened.
Police are appealing for information and witnesses following the incident.
You may also want to watch:
Sergeant James Thorne said: "We have spoken to a number of witnesses already but we're asking anyone who has not yet been in contact and who saw the collision to please call 101.
"We're also asking anyone who may have dash cam footage of the incident or the lead up to it to please get in contact."
- 1 Family of four ‘distraught’ living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 4 How Welwyn's White Hart pub improvised after £100K kitchen inferno
- 5 Banned driver jailed following high-speed police chase
- 6 The Proclaimers to headline Folk by the Oak in Hatfield Park
- 7 County success for Phil Embleton while Brookmans Park golfers enjoy annual highlight
- 8 'Another Jo Cox' - Hatfield councillor predicted MP attack months before David Amess death
- 9 Arrests made following stop and searches – including teenager with baton
- 10 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
Anyone with information can contact sergeant Thorne by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, report information online at www.herts.police.uk/Report, or call the non-emergency number 101, quoting ISR 787 of June 10.