A1(M) closed between Welwyn and Hatfield following serious accident
- Credit: Archant
The A1(M) is closed between Welwyn and Hatfield following a serious accident.
The motorway has been shut this afternoon (Saturday) from Junction 6 (Welwyn) to Junction 4 (Hatfield) following a car fire on the southbound carriageway.
Herts firefighters attended the scene this lunchtime, along with other emergency services.
Herts Fire Control (@HertsFRSControl) tweeted just before 1pm: “We are currently at a car fire on the A1m southbound near junc 5 – Please try an avoid the area if possible due to traffic congestion.”
Four hours later, the official Twitter account for the Beds, Cambs & Herts Road Policing Unit (@roadpoliceBCH) tweeted: “A1M remains closed southbound 6-4 Welwyn - Hatfield. Likely to be closed for several more hours.”
You may also want to watch:
As a result of the road closure, traffic has tailed back to Junction 7, with motorists facing severe delays and diversions.
The A1(M) slip road at Junction 7 onto the southbound carriageway has now been closed for safety reasons.
- 1 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 2 Unanimous vote to close overnight service at Welwyn Garden City Urgent Care Centre
- 3 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 4 Young girl ‘shaken’ after phone placed under toilet cubicle
- 5 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for St Albans and Welwyn Hatfield area
- 6 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 9 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 10 Escape the crowds this summer at these places to visit in Hertfordshire
The Highways Agency (@HAtraffic_east) tweeted: “Long delays on the #A1M southbound, J8 - J6, due to an accident. The #A1M is expected to remain closed J6 - J4 for several more hours.”
The agency’s website reports delays of 30 minutes between Junction 7 for Stevenage and Junction 6, caused by congestion due to the vehicle fire.
A further update from @HAtraffic_east read: “#Hertfordshire We’ve closed the access slip-road onto the #A1M southbound at J7 for safety, due to the long delays J7 - J6.”
It also tweeted: “The HA and emergency services continue to work hard at the scene of the accident on the #A1M J6 - J4. Rd will stay closed for several hours”
The road is expected to re-open after 7pm.
* Live traffic information is available on the Highways Agency website and mobile app, and drivers can also listen to traffic bulletins on local radio for updates.
There are also eight Highways Agency feeds on Twitter, with live traffic information provided by region.
For information on roads in the East follow us at @HAtraffic_east or for the full index visit www.highways.gov.uk/twitter