A1(M) southbound closed between Welwyn Garden City and Stevenage following car crash and vehicle fire
- Credit: Archant
A crash and vehicle fire saw the A1(M) towards Welwyn Garden City closed overnight and into rush hour.
The collision happened between junction seven and six at about 10pm last night.
Firefighting crews from Stevenage and Hitchin rushed to the scene, along with other emergency services.
Traffic queues are currently stretching up to junction nine.
Highways England report that the road was closed in both directions to allow police officers to investigate the scene, but they have now both reopened.
You may also want to watch:
Herts Fire and Rescue Service were also called to a separate crash on the A1(M) last night, at about 10pm, which saw multiple vehicles in a collision between junctions three and four.
Crews from Hatfield, St Albans and Borehamwood attended that incident.
- 1 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 2 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 3 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 6 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 7 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 8 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 9 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 10 Have you seen this wanted man?
More information on these as it becomes available.