A1(M) southbound closed between Welwyn Garden City and Stevenage following car crash and vehicle fire
- Credit: Archant
A crash and vehicle fire saw the A1(M) towards Welwyn Garden City closed overnight and into rush hour.
The collision happened between junction seven and six at about 10pm last night.
Firefighting crews from Stevenage and Hitchin rushed to the scene, along with other emergency services.
Traffic queues are currently stretching up to junction nine.
Highways England report that the road was closed in both directions to allow police officers to investigate the scene, but they have now both reopened.
Herts Fire and Rescue Service were also called to a separate crash on the A1(M) last night, at about 10pm, which saw multiple vehicles in a collision between junctions three and four.
Crews from Hatfield, St Albans and Borehamwood attended that incident.
- 1 What is the future for The Howard Centre?
- 2 Shoppers predict ‘demise’ of Welwyn Garden City town centre after store closures announced
- 3 Buyers can now reserve an apartment in Hatfield Rise
- 4 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 5 Axes and knives found during weapons raid
- 6 Cash stolen from elderly man using bank ATM
- 7 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 8 Stevenage health lead 'appalled' as Lister stroke unit is downgraded again
- 9 'Friendship zone' created in Welwyn school
- 10 Work begins on Welwyn Garden City’s new-look Anniversary Gardens
More information on these as it becomes available.