£9m Hatfield rail station revamp will be ‘little bit of pain’ for improvement, say backers
- Credit: Archant
PARKING spaces at Hatfield railway station will be slashed during a £9m revamp – with a rail operator urging commuters to use other stations.
The largest car park at the Great North Road transport hub will be closed for 10 months, from Monday October 14, while a multi-storey site is built.
First Capital Connect is urging commuters to use buses and possibly travel from other stations while the 135 capacity north car park is closed.
A ward councillor this week told the WHT it would cause short-term pain, but large benefits beyond that.
Roger Perkins, communications manager at the rail operator, said: “We know it is going to massively inconvenience people, unfortunately we have no option.
You may also want to watch:
“The car park has to close if a new and improved car park is to be built and a new and improved station is to be privided.”
He added: “It is understandable [it will annoy people] we can only acknowledge that it will be inconvenient for a lot of people, we are not ignoring that in any way whatsoever, but we are doing are best to alleviate it.”
- 1 Murder-suicide investigation in Welwyn Garden City
- 2 Five hospitalised after Hatfield dog attack
- 3 YMCA overdose victims claim 'neglectful support service' at Welwyn Garden City facility
- 4 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 5 Welwyn Garden City Beaver raises more than £100 for NHS with yard sale
- 6 M25 protesters could face prison after Government secures injunction
- 7 12 year old girl hospitalised after being hit by car
- 8 Arson attack on two cars in Hatfield street
- 9 Bargains for shoppers at exclusive Hatfield Galleria VIP event
- 10 Headteacher calls out 'dangerous' and 'inconsiderate' parking from parents outside school
Ward councillor Tony Kingsbury, Conservative, said he was pleased that the work was set to go ahead.
He told the WHT: “It’s another good thing happening in Hatfield.
“Maybe it’s a little bit of pain, but afterwards it will be a big improvement for Hatfield.
“There are people who are concerned about the amount of parking at the station.”
Car park season ticket holders who have held a monthly or longer pass since before September 25 will be able to use other stations for no extra cost.
Also they will be gifted a free week’s bus travel within the Hatfield Plusbus area to and from the station between October 13 and November 9.
Once completed the new multi-storey car park will cater for 378 vehicles and the station itself will be developed.
It will be extended, there will be more retail spaces and there will be a second entrance.
Bus users will also benefit from the revamp when an improved interchange opens.
There will also be a new pedestrian footbridge and disabled access for both platforms.