�40,000 Potters Bar roadworks machinery stolen
MACHINERY worth �40,000 has been stolen from the site where one of Potters Bar’s main roads is being repaired.
A JCB tractor and a double-drum roller vehicle were taken from Darkes Lane between 2pm on Wednesday last week and 8am the following morning.
The vehicles were both on hire to Hertfordshire County Council from Amey Lafarge.
They were fenced in and the thieves had to move a larger roller and steal the fencing in order to take the particular roller they stole.
A Herts Highways spokesman said they were reviewing security at all its sites “in the light of the current level of plant and equipment theft in the county”.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “The cost of it will be met by Amey Lafarge; it will not be met via the public purse.”
The urgent repairs on the road surface, which closed two parts of the road, were originally planned to be finished by Friday.
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 6 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 9 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 10 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
However, the scheme has overrun and it is now on course to be finished today (Wednesday) weather permitting.
Police are appealing for witnesses to the crime.
Call Pc Graham Hiscock on 0845 333 00 222 if you saw anything suspicious.