�40,000 Potters Bar roadworks machinery stolen
MACHINERY worth �40,000 has been stolen from the site where one of Potters Bar’s main roads is being repaired.
A JCB tractor and a double-drum roller vehicle were taken from Darkes Lane between 2pm on Wednesday last week and 8am the following morning.
The vehicles were both on hire to Hertfordshire County Council from Amey Lafarge.
They were fenced in and the thieves had to move a larger roller and steal the fencing in order to take the particular roller they stole.
A Herts Highways spokesman said they were reviewing security at all its sites “in the light of the current level of plant and equipment theft in the county”.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “The cost of it will be met by Amey Lafarge; it will not be met via the public purse.”
The urgent repairs on the road surface, which closed two parts of the road, were originally planned to be finished by Friday.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 5 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 6 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 7 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 8 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 9 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 10 'This is history!' - 25 facts about the Oasis concerts at Knebworth Park 25 years ago
However, the scheme has overrun and it is now on course to be finished today (Wednesday) weather permitting.
Police are appealing for witnesses to the crime.
Call Pc Graham Hiscock on 0845 333 00 222 if you saw anything suspicious.