�40,000 Potters Bar roadworks machinery stolen
MACHINERY worth �40,000 has been stolen from the site where one of Potters Bar’s main roads is being repaired.
A JCB tractor and a double-drum roller vehicle were taken from Darkes Lane between 2pm on Wednesday last week and 8am the following morning.
The vehicles were both on hire to Hertfordshire County Council from Amey Lafarge.
They were fenced in and the thieves had to move a larger roller and steal the fencing in order to take the particular roller they stole.
A Herts Highways spokesman said they were reviewing security at all its sites “in the light of the current level of plant and equipment theft in the county”.
He added: “The cost of it will be met by Amey Lafarge; it will not be met via the public purse.”
The urgent repairs on the road surface, which closed two parts of the road, were originally planned to be finished by Friday.
- 1 'Garden thieves' caught on camera in Welwyn
- 2 Queen's Platinum Jubilee: Changes to rubbish and recycling bin collection days in Welwyn Hatfield
- 3 Welwyn Garden City school earns prestigious development award
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Who is playing when at Slam Dunk Festival 2022: Set times announced for Hatfield Park
- 6 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 7 TfL removes over 100 London buses after EV blaze in Potters Bar
- 8 Spectacular Grade II listed home near Hatfield on the market for £3m
- 9 Local man will be flying high in an effort to raise much needed funds for Potential Kids
- 10 Brain tumour patient models designer hat for Platinum Jubilee celebrations
However, the scheme has overrun and it is now on course to be finished today (Wednesday) weather permitting.
Police are appealing for witnesses to the crime.
Call Pc Graham Hiscock on 0845 333 00 222 if you saw anything suspicious.