Traffic chaos for Welwyn Garden City town centre
TRAFFIC jams around WGC town centre will continue to bring chaos throughout the summer. Rush hour drivers are suffering as gas pipe works take place on the busy four-way junction of Bridge Road, Bridge Road East, Broadwater Road and Bessemer Road. Queue
TRAFFIC jams around WGC town centre will continue to bring chaos throughout the summer.
Rush hour drivers are suffering as gas pipe works take place on the busy four-way junction of Bridge Road, Bridge Road East, Broadwater Road and Bessemer Road.
Queues stretching back into surrounding roads have sparked angry comments from many drivers.
One said: "I sat there for ages this morning.
You may also want to watch:
"It felt like the world had stopped."
But it looks set to get worse as National Grid bosses plan to close parts of Bessemer Road from Tuesday, May 12.
- 1 Stay vigilant say police after man allegedly seen trying car door handles
- 2 University of Hertfordshire hit by cyber attack
- 3 'Iconic' new statue of Ebenezer Howard unveiled
- 4 Explosive new Fast & Furious 9 trailer and UK release date revealed
- 5 Homes damaged by people throwing bricks
- 6 'It's special to see your loved ones smiling away' - woman raises money to buy companion toys for care home residents
- 7 Mass participation 10K test event in Hatfield Park postponed and new venue being sought
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 10 Former healthcare worker nominated for role model award due to rare illness awareness campaign
The �1m upgrade involves laying a 3km stretch of gas mains for the town.
The project sees new hardwearing plastic pipes, which the energy company claims will last a minimum of 80 years, installed.
The work is scheduled to last until September.
A National Grid spokesman said: "From May 12 we plan to work in Bessemer Road between the junction of Broadwater Road and the junction with the Centrapark industrial area.
"To facilitate this part of the work we will be implementing phased lane closures in this section of Bessemer Road.
" A diversion will be in place via the A1000, the A414 and the B195.
"It is anticipated that these closures will be in implemented in phases until late July 2009.
"We have carefully planned this work with the local authority and other agencies to ensure it is delivered with a minimum of disruption.
"Wherever possible we will insert the new mains into the old mains which reduces the need for excavations.
"We apologise for any inconvenience. These new pipes will provide safe, secure and reliable gas supplies in the coming years.