Tottenham Hotspur stars fail to rekindle FA Cup ‘81 spirit
TOTTENHAM Hotspur legends visited the Hertfordshire hotel where the 1981 team stayed prior to their FA Cup Final win.
Garth Crooks – a member of the ’81 winning squad – Gary Mabbutt and Cliff Jones brought the famous trophy to Ponsbourne Park Hotel, in Newgate Street, last weekend for a feature shown on satellite channel ESPN.
The snippet was aired before the club’s fourth round match against Fulham and the trio, who were joined by Spurs fan and comedian Phil Cornwell, were hoping the visit would rekindle some of the spirit of 30 years ago.
However, by the end of the first half, with the North London side down to 10 men and losing 4-0, it was not to be.
Simon Standing, sales manager at the hotel and himself a fan of Harry Redknapp’s side, said: “Many football teams used to stay here before the FA Cup Final.
You may also want to watch:
“Nowadays we just cater for the public, mainly in our restaurant and hotel.”
He added: “It was fantastic hearing stories of the past and all the guys were absolutely great, and had a lot of time for everyone here.”
- 1 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 'This doesn’t make much sense' - MPs react to proposed boundary changes
- 4 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 5 Investigation to take place into contact social services had with Christie Frewin before her murder
- 6 CCTV released after thousands of pounds of vitamins and supplements stolen
- 7 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 8 Puddingstone Distillery launches new Ultrasonic gin to help Herts charity protect bats
- 9 Nursey goes 'climate positive' by offsetting their carbon footprint
- 10 Reis Suart becomes first county champion from Welwyn Garden City in over three decades