Tottenham Hotspur stars fail to rekindle FA Cup ‘81 spirit
TOTTENHAM Hotspur legends visited the Hertfordshire hotel where the 1981 team stayed prior to their FA Cup Final win.
Garth Crooks – a member of the ’81 winning squad – Gary Mabbutt and Cliff Jones brought the famous trophy to Ponsbourne Park Hotel, in Newgate Street, last weekend for a feature shown on satellite channel ESPN.
The snippet was aired before the club’s fourth round match against Fulham and the trio, who were joined by Spurs fan and comedian Phil Cornwell, were hoping the visit would rekindle some of the spirit of 30 years ago.
However, by the end of the first half, with the North London side down to 10 men and losing 4-0, it was not to be.
Simon Standing, sales manager at the hotel and himself a fan of Harry Redknapp’s side, said: “Many football teams used to stay here before the FA Cup Final.
You may also want to watch:
“Nowadays we just cater for the public, mainly in our restaurant and hotel.”
He added: “It was fantastic hearing stories of the past and all the guys were absolutely great, and had a lot of time for everyone here.”
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 3 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 4 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 5 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 6 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 7 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 8 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 9 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 10 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank