Tory new boy apologises for Lib Dem baby rapist comparison
A FORMER councillor who branded Liberal Democrat policy as a bigger danger to children than a baby rapist has said sorry. Sam Smith had caused uproar after posting comments on an internet forum run by Tory MP Grant Shapps. As previously reported on www.wh
A FORMER councillor who branded Liberal Democrat policy as a bigger danger to children than a baby rapist has said sorry.
Sam Smith had caused uproar after posting comments on an internet forum run by Tory MP Grant Shapps.
As previously reported on www.whtimes24.co.uk, Mr Smith had criticised the Lib Dems for supporting soft drug laws.
Under his user name, Vordrak, he wrote: "Liberal policy poses a greater threat to our children than Tanya French does."
You may also want to watch:
He was referring to the Hatfield woman jailed, along with her boyfriend, for raping a 12-week-old tot.
Mr Smith, 30, apologised in a statement released by Welwyn Hatfield Conservative party agent Benedict McAleenan.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 5 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 8 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 9 Council named wrong town planner as Garden City's principle creator
- 10 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
He said: "I would like to apologise unreservedly for writing insensitive comments in the heat of debate.
"I completely appreciate that it was inappropriate and offensive."
Mr McAleenan, on behalf of the party, added: "Mr Smith's comment was his own and he has expressed sincere regret for making it.
"He accepts that it was an insensitive and crude comparison."
Mr Smith was a Labour councillor on Welwyn Hatfield Council, representing WGC's Haldens ward, from June 2005 to May 2008.
He defected to the Tory ranks last week.