Tory new boy apologises for Lib Dem baby rapist comparison
A FORMER councillor who branded Liberal Democrat policy as a bigger danger to children than a baby rapist has said sorry. Sam Smith had caused uproar after posting comments on an internet forum run by Tory MP Grant Shapps. As previously reported on www.wh
A FORMER councillor who branded Liberal Democrat policy as a bigger danger to children than a baby rapist has said sorry.
Sam Smith had caused uproar after posting comments on an internet forum run by Tory MP Grant Shapps.
As previously reported on www.whtimes24.co.uk, Mr Smith had criticised the Lib Dems for supporting soft drug laws.
Under his user name, Vordrak, he wrote: "Liberal policy poses a greater threat to our children than Tanya French does."
He was referring to the Hatfield woman jailed, along with her boyfriend, for raping a 12-week-old tot.
Mr Smith, 30, apologised in a statement released by Welwyn Hatfield Conservative party agent Benedict McAleenan.
- 1 Grant Shapps MP: 'We are revolutionising rail travel'
- 2 Grade II Hatfield hotel refurbishment continues
- 3 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 4 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 5 Delight as Welwyn Garden City’s Rowan Tree crowned Nursery of the Year
- 6 Man suffers leg injuries after stabbing at Queensway in Hatfield
- 7 Jobs created as new entertainment centre opens in Hatfield
- 8 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 9 RSPCA rescue cats in Potters Bar waiting to find their forever homes
- 10 From Hitchcock to Attenborough: Remembering Welwyn Garden City's film studios near the Shredded Wheat factory site
He said: "I would like to apologise unreservedly for writing insensitive comments in the heat of debate.
"I completely appreciate that it was inappropriate and offensive."
Mr McAleenan, on behalf of the party, added: "Mr Smith's comment was his own and he has expressed sincere regret for making it.
"He accepts that it was an insensitive and crude comparison."
Mr Smith was a Labour councillor on Welwyn Hatfield Council, representing WGC's Haldens ward, from June 2005 to May 2008.
He defected to the Tory ranks last week.