Tory new boy apologises for Lib Dem baby rapist comparison
A FORMER councillor who branded Liberal Democrat policy as a bigger danger to children than a baby rapist has said sorry. Sam Smith had caused uproar after posting comments on an internet forum run by Tory MP Grant Shapps. As previously reported on www.wh
A FORMER councillor who branded Liberal Democrat policy as a bigger danger to children than a baby rapist has said sorry.
Sam Smith had caused uproar after posting comments on an internet forum run by Tory MP Grant Shapps.
As previously reported on www.whtimes24.co.uk, Mr Smith had criticised the Lib Dems for supporting soft drug laws.
Under his user name, Vordrak, he wrote: "Liberal policy poses a greater threat to our children than Tanya French does."
You may also want to watch:
He was referring to the Hatfield woman jailed, along with her boyfriend, for raping a 12-week-old tot.
Mr Smith, 30, apologised in a statement released by Welwyn Hatfield Conservative party agent Benedict McAleenan.
- 1 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 2 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 5 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Football fanatic honoured with FA award for services to grassroots game
- 7 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 8 Grant Shapps 'completely opposed' to closure of QEII Urgent Care Centre at night
- 9 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 10 Young girl ‘shaken’ after phone placed under toilet cubicle
He said: "I would like to apologise unreservedly for writing insensitive comments in the heat of debate.
"I completely appreciate that it was inappropriate and offensive."
Mr McAleenan, on behalf of the party, added: "Mr Smith's comment was his own and he has expressed sincere regret for making it.
"He accepts that it was an insensitive and crude comparison."
Mr Smith was a Labour councillor on Welwyn Hatfield Council, representing WGC's Haldens ward, from June 2005 to May 2008.
He defected to the Tory ranks last week.