Tornado locomotive coming to Welwyn Hatfield is one of a kind
TORNADO, which will be passing through Welwyn Hatfield this afternoon (Saturday), is a very special locomotive. The engine, which is owned by the Darlington-based A1 Steam Locomotive Trust, is a Peppercorn class
TORNADO, which will be passing through Welwyn Hatfield this afternoon (Saturday), is a very special locomotive.
The engine, which is owned by the Darlington-based A1 Steam Locomotive Trust, is a Peppercorn class A1 60163 and is the first main line steam locomotive to be built in the UK for some 50 years.
Her maiden voyage took place last Saturday and was watched by some 10,000 people.
Tornado, which cost �3m and took 19 years to construct, will be pulling 13 carriages - a total weight of 500 tons - and has a top speed of 75mph.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Allat, chairman of A1 Steam, said: "Tornado's first train to London is the opening of a new chapter in the story of a project that many said could never be completed.
"In 1990 a group was formed to build and operate a Peppercorn class A1 Pacific steam locomotive for main line and preserved railway use.
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 6 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 9 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 10 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
"Nineteen years later, and thanks to that shared vision and determination, Tornado hauled her first passenger train on the Network Rail main line."
"It is thanks to our more than 2,000 donors, sponsors and the hard work of our volunteers and contractors that the project has achieved so much."
The Tornado will be passing through WGC at 1.05pm, Hatfield at 1.10pm and Potters Bar at 1.17pm.