Tornado locomotive coming to Potters Bar is one of a kind
TORNADO, which will be passing through Potters Bar this afternoon (Saturday), is a very special locomotive. The engine, which is owned by the Darlington-based A1 Steam Locomotive Trust, is a
TORNADO, which will be passing through Potters Bar this afternoon (Saturday), is a very special locomotive.
The engine, which is owned by the Darlington-based A1 Steam Locomotive Trust, is a Peppercorn class A1 60163 and is the first main line steam locomotive to be built in the UK for some 50 years.
Her maiden voyage took place last Saturday and was watched by some 10,000 people.
Tornado, which cost �3m and took 19 years to construct, will be pulling 13 carriages - a total weight of 500 tons - and has a top speed of 75mph.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Allat, chairman of A1 Steam, said: "Tornado's first train to London is the opening of a new chapter in the story of a project that many said could never be completed.
"In 1990 a group was formed to build and operate a Peppercorn class A1 Pacific steam locomotive for main line and preserved railway use.
- 1 Is Hertfordshire set to become the new British Hollywood?
- 2 Is the era of face-to-face GP appointments over in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Taxi driver found guilty of driving offences
- 4 Enjoy the park but treat it with the respect it deserves, says manager
- 5 Parents thank school for going 'above and beyond' to include children who had to shield for over a year
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Pregnant woman jailed for more than two years for killing cyclist
- 8 Galleria launches 'We Love Local' venture for businesses
- 9 Travel blogger quarantined in Canada after returning home for funeral
- 10 Driving scheme for 10 to 17 year olds launches in Hatfield
"Nineteen years later, and thanks to that shared vision and determination, Tornado hauled her first passenger train on the Network Rail main line."
"It is thanks to our more than 2,000 donors, sponsors and the hard work of our volunteers and contractors that the project has achieved so much."
The Tornado will be passing through Potters Bar at 1.17pm.