Tornado locomotive coming to Potters Bar is one of a kind
TORNADO, which will be passing through Potters Bar this afternoon (Saturday), is a very special locomotive. The engine, which is owned by the Darlington-based A1 Steam Locomotive Trust, is a
TORNADO, which will be passing through Potters Bar this afternoon (Saturday), is a very special locomotive.
The engine, which is owned by the Darlington-based A1 Steam Locomotive Trust, is a Peppercorn class A1 60163 and is the first main line steam locomotive to be built in the UK for some 50 years.
Her maiden voyage took place last Saturday and was watched by some 10,000 people.
Tornado, which cost �3m and took 19 years to construct, will be pulling 13 carriages - a total weight of 500 tons - and has a top speed of 75mph.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Allat, chairman of A1 Steam, said: "Tornado's first train to London is the opening of a new chapter in the story of a project that many said could never be completed.
"In 1990 a group was formed to build and operate a Peppercorn class A1 Pacific steam locomotive for main line and preserved railway use.
- 1 Tenant's despair over bill for council tax on mouldy flat
- 2 Audi and jewellery worth £70K stolen in Hatfield burglary
- 3 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 4 Fireworks displays in Hertfordshire for Bonfire Night 2021
- 5 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 6 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 7 Filming taking place at The Galleria shopping centre in Hatfield
- 8 Rumoured Halifax closure would leave Hatfield with no banks
- 9 Ex-England star returns to former school for launch of environmental football campaign
- 10 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
"Nineteen years later, and thanks to that shared vision and determination, Tornado hauled her first passenger train on the Network Rail main line."
"It is thanks to our more than 2,000 donors, sponsors and the hard work of our volunteers and contractors that the project has achieved so much."
The Tornado will be passing through Potters Bar at 1.17pm.