Tornado locomotive coming to Potters Bar is one of a kind
TORNADO, which will be passing through Potters Bar this afternoon (Saturday), is a very special locomotive. The engine, which is owned by the Darlington-based A1 Steam Locomotive Trust, is a
TORNADO, which will be passing through Potters Bar this afternoon (Saturday), is a very special locomotive.
The engine, which is owned by the Darlington-based A1 Steam Locomotive Trust, is a Peppercorn class A1 60163 and is the first main line steam locomotive to be built in the UK for some 50 years.
Her maiden voyage took place last Saturday and was watched by some 10,000 people.
Tornado, which cost �3m and took 19 years to construct, will be pulling 13 carriages - a total weight of 500 tons - and has a top speed of 75mph.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Allat, chairman of A1 Steam, said: "Tornado's first train to London is the opening of a new chapter in the story of a project that many said could never be completed.
"In 1990 a group was formed to build and operate a Peppercorn class A1 Pacific steam locomotive for main line and preserved railway use.
- 1 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 2 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 3 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 6 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 7 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 Skills the way forward for Hertfordshire’s Covid recovery as new strategy launched
- 9 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 10 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
"Nineteen years later, and thanks to that shared vision and determination, Tornado hauled her first passenger train on the Network Rail main line."
"It is thanks to our more than 2,000 donors, sponsors and the hard work of our volunteers and contractors that the project has achieved so much."
The Tornado will be passing through Potters Bar at 1.17pm.