Torched Welwyn Garden City youth shelter has to be demolished
A SHELTER erected in a park to provide amusement for youngsters has been removed after a spate of abuse.
The structure, which stood in Haldens Park, WGC, was vandalised soon after its build, and last month was torched.
The crimes, which are being investigated by police, have led to Welwyn Hatfield Council removing it.
A council spokeswoman said: “The shelter was erected in September 2009 following a community chest bid from Haldens ward councillors for �3,535 as part of a larger project to improve Haldens Park.
“Shortly after it was erected it was vandalised and now it has now been torched.
You may also want to watch:
“The incident happened at some point between Thursday, April 22 and Tuesday, April 27. It has been reported to the police.”
She added: “The shelter was removed because, following its torching, it was too dangerous to the public to be left that way, and also beyond the point where it could be repaired.
- 1 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Welwyn nursery manager meets Boris Johnson at Downing Street reception
- 4 Unanimous vote to close overnight service at Welwyn Garden City Urgent Care Centre
- 5 Grant Shapps 'completely opposed' to closure of QEII Urgent Care Centre at night
- 6 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 7 Young girl ‘shaken’ after phone placed under toilet cubicle
- 8 New free live music event set for Hertford Castle's grounds
- 9 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 10 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
“The position regarding insurance is being pursued and that will determine any possible re-provision.”
A police spokeswoman said: “We are currently investigating and are liaising with the council.
“We are appealing for any witnesses to call the non emergency number on 0845 33 00 222.”
The cause of the blaze was described as doubtful by the fire service.