Torched Welwyn Garden City youth shelter has to be demolished
A SHELTER erected in a park to provide amusement for youngsters has been removed after a spate of abuse.
The structure, which stood in Haldens Park, WGC, was vandalised soon after its build, and last month was torched.
The crimes, which are being investigated by police, have led to Welwyn Hatfield Council removing it.
A council spokeswoman said: “The shelter was erected in September 2009 following a community chest bid from Haldens ward councillors for �3,535 as part of a larger project to improve Haldens Park.
“Shortly after it was erected it was vandalised and now it has now been torched.
“The incident happened at some point between Thursday, April 22 and Tuesday, April 27. It has been reported to the police.”
She added: “The shelter was removed because, following its torching, it was too dangerous to the public to be left that way, and also beyond the point where it could be repaired.
- 1 Concerns raised over structural integrity of Shredded Wheat factory building
- 2 Hatfield mobile network improvements set to cause TV interference
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 5 Drug dealer jailed after £9,000 worth of crack cocaine found in bedroom
- 6 Mountain bike stolen from Welwyn Garden City shed
- 7 Man in stable condition following Hatfield stabbing
- 8 Christmas baubles adorn postbox toppers in Hertford crafters' festive yarnbombing event
- 9 Welwyn Garden City BID renewed and funding secured following ballot
- 10 Great family entertainment in Christmas production of Goodnight Mr Tom at the Barn Theatre in Welwyn Garden City
“The position regarding insurance is being pursued and that will determine any possible re-provision.”
A police spokeswoman said: “We are currently investigating and are liaising with the council.
“We are appealing for any witnesses to call the non emergency number on 0845 33 00 222.”
The cause of the blaze was described as doubtful by the fire service.