Three arrested for ‘helping’ Hatfield murderer
THREE men have been arrested accused of helping a murderer bury his victim in the back garden of his home.
Richard Clare was found guilty of slitting the throat of love rival Peter McConnell and is currently serving a minimum of 27 years behind bars.
In the early hours of Thursday, police carried out a dawn raid in Chelwood Avenue, Hatfield, and arrested a 48-year-old man and a 27-year-old man.
Later that afternoon a third man, aged 38 from Hoddesdon, handed himself in to Hatfield Police Station.
All three men were arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice and released on bail until March 22.
You may also want to watch:
Clare, 38, of Fern Dells, Hatfield, had told the court during his defence evidence he had help digging the grave and cleaning the house – which included ripping up floorboards and replastering the walls.
Herts police are still keen for witnesses to come forward and believe the Hatfield community has more to share.
- 1 'Almost double the population' - Plans unveiled for two adjacent festivals at the same time
- 2 F9: Filming locations of Vin Diesel's new Fast & Furious 9 movie
- 3 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 8 Frank Turner added to revised Slam Dunk Festival 2021 line-up set for Hatfield
- 9 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 10 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM
A spokeswoman said: “We know people in Hatfield are talking about the case and we’d like to speak to anyone who can help us in regards to the men recently arrested.”
Call the incident room on 01707 355959 or for a cash reward call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.