Thieves steal drain covers in Welwyn Garden City
DRAIN cover thieves have struck again in Welwyn Hatfield.
Manhole covers have been taken from four roads in WGC – Goblins Green, Margery Wood, Wheatley Road and Windhill.
County councillor Stuart Pile, executive member for highways and transport, said: “We’ve had six reported thefts in two days in WGC and we’re concerned we’re at the start of another spate of thefts.
“Since early summer we’ve seen over 100 covers taken in this area. Removing the covers poses a major risk to public safety, particularly for cyclists and pedestrians.
“At around �300 per cover to replace, these thefts are draining valuable resources which could otherwise have gone towards additional maintenance work.”
You may also want to watch:
Once reported, Hertfordshire Highways workmen have been making the areas safe by putting cones and barriers around the holes and have ordered replacement covers.
Cllr Pile added: “We will be working closely with the local police to tackle this issue. In the meantime, please report missing covers to Hertfordshire Highways on 0300 123 4047 or www.hertsdirect.org/highwayfaults so we can make the area safe as quickly as possible.”
- 1 'Almost double the population' - Plans unveiled for two adjacent festivals at the same time
- 2 F9: Filming locations of Vin Diesel's new Fast & Furious 9 movie
- 3 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 8 Frank Turner added to revised Slam Dunk Festival 2021 line-up set for Hatfield
- 9 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 10 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM