Thieves steal drain covers in Welwyn Garden City
DRAIN cover thieves have struck again in Welwyn Hatfield.
Manhole covers have been taken from four roads in WGC – Goblins Green, Margery Wood, Wheatley Road and Windhill.
County councillor Stuart Pile, executive member for highways and transport, said: “We’ve had six reported thefts in two days in WGC and we’re concerned we’re at the start of another spate of thefts.
“Since early summer we’ve seen over 100 covers taken in this area. Removing the covers poses a major risk to public safety, particularly for cyclists and pedestrians.
“At around �300 per cover to replace, these thefts are draining valuable resources which could otherwise have gone towards additional maintenance work.”
You may also want to watch:
Once reported, Hertfordshire Highways workmen have been making the areas safe by putting cones and barriers around the holes and have ordered replacement covers.
Cllr Pile added: “We will be working closely with the local police to tackle this issue. In the meantime, please report missing covers to Hertfordshire Highways on 0300 123 4047 or www.hertsdirect.org/highwayfaults so we can make the area safe as quickly as possible.”
- 1 Nearly 30 Insulate Britain protestors arrested this morning
- 2 Arson attack on two cars in Hatfield street
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Application could see two festival sites next to each other
- 6 Ed Sheeran announces 2022 stadium tour: How to get tickets
- 7 Grant Shapps denounces Insulate Britain protesters as 'dangerous and counterproductive'
- 8 12 year old girl hospitalised after being hit by car
- 9 Stonehills road section to reopen soon - but delays to other work
- 10 Hertsmere: 6,000 home development included in Local Plan