There’s scrum-thing new above your lip!
IF you happen to notice a large group of 20 stone, 6ft tall men parading around Times Territory with a full set of moustaches, don’t be alarmed.
For it will be members of Welwyn Rugby Club, who are taking part in ‘Movember’ – an annual, month-long celebration of growing moustaches to highlight men’s health, especially prostate cancer.
First team captain Simon Banks told the WHT they decided to become ‘Mo Bros’ – as participants are affectionately known – and grow moustaches, after “a few drinks”.
He said: “Someone mentioned ‘Movember’ and since it raises money for prostate cancer we thought why not!”
Simon, who has been with the Hobbs Way club for nine years, added “around a dozen or more of the lads, who are brave enough” are being sponsored to grow the facial hair.
You may also want to watch:
“Some of the younger lads are a bit tentative, but we’re up for it,” he said.
“The other halves don’t seem to mind too much, because it’s only for a month, it’s not going to last.
- 1 May 17: Pub ready for reopening after £440k refurbishment
- 2 Social club 'blown away' by community support while closed for extended period
- 3 Search continues for missing Stevenage man
- 4 May 17: What can open when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday?
- 5 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 8 Top gear! Supercars drive into Knebworth for Petrolheadonism event
- 9 May 17th: Uno prepares to welcome more passengers on buses
- 10 Drugs worth £50,000 found in van pulled over for fly-tipping
“My wife is prepared, she wasn’t too impressed at first, but since it’s for charity she’s happy.”
The rules are simple.
On Sunday, Mo Bros had to begin clean shaven.
They then have the remainder of the month to grow and groom their moustache.
The idea is that during ‘Movember’, each of the fundraisers effectively becomes a walking billboard for men’s health and help raise funds and awareness for The Prostate Cancer Charity.
The hooker is hoping that exactly the above happens, while perhaps helping the club’s results on the pitch at the same time!
“You never know it might put off the opponents!
“But although it’s great fun and it will be good banter about who will grow the fastest and the most, it’s all about the charity and we will do anything we can that can help.
“About one in six of us get prostate cancer, so it affects us all.”
At the end of the month, a series of Gala Part�s are held to thank Mo Bros for their support and the WGC-based club will be no different.
To see how the lads get on see upcoming issues of the WHT.
For more information visit http://uk.movember.com