There’s scrum-thing new above your lip!
IF you happen to notice a large group of 20 stone, 6ft tall men parading around Times Territory with a full set of moustaches, don’t be alarmed.
For it will be members of Welwyn Rugby Club, who are taking part in ‘Movember’ – an annual, month-long celebration of growing moustaches to highlight men’s health, especially prostate cancer.
First team captain Simon Banks told the WHT they decided to become ‘Mo Bros’ – as participants are affectionately known – and grow moustaches, after “a few drinks”.
He said: “Someone mentioned ‘Movember’ and since it raises money for prostate cancer we thought why not!”
Simon, who has been with the Hobbs Way club for nine years, added “around a dozen or more of the lads, who are brave enough” are being sponsored to grow the facial hair.
You may also want to watch:
“Some of the younger lads are a bit tentative, but we’re up for it,” he said.
“The other halves don’t seem to mind too much, because it’s only for a month, it’s not going to last.
- 1 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 4 Significantly higher number of fines and warnings for COVID-19 rule breakers in Welwyn Hatfield than nearby areas
- 5 Parked car leads to build up of waste, council claims
- 6 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 7 Will Bridgerton return to Hertfordshire for season two?
- 8 Principal reveals biggest challenges and successes during her time at Oaklands College
- 9 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 10 How did our town centres hold up under pressure last year?
“My wife is prepared, she wasn’t too impressed at first, but since it’s for charity she’s happy.”
The rules are simple.
On Sunday, Mo Bros had to begin clean shaven.
They then have the remainder of the month to grow and groom their moustache.
The idea is that during ‘Movember’, each of the fundraisers effectively becomes a walking billboard for men’s health and help raise funds and awareness for The Prostate Cancer Charity.
The hooker is hoping that exactly the above happens, while perhaps helping the club’s results on the pitch at the same time!
“You never know it might put off the opponents!
“But although it’s great fun and it will be good banter about who will grow the fastest and the most, it’s all about the charity and we will do anything we can that can help.
“About one in six of us get prostate cancer, so it affects us all.”
At the end of the month, a series of Gala Part�s are held to thank Mo Bros for their support and the WGC-based club will be no different.
To see how the lads get on see upcoming issues of the WHT.
For more information visit http://uk.movember.com