Tesco’s opening in Potters Bar delayed by two months
A SUPERMARKET set to open in Potters Bar last week will keep its doors closed – for at least two months.
The grand opening of the Tesco Express store in Mutton Lane was due to take place on Wednesday, but was delayed due to highways issues.
At the time a Tesco spokeswoman said they were waiting for “neccessary approvals” to be granted by Hertfordshire Highways in order for the store to open.
When the Potters Bar Edition contacted Herts Highways to find out when these approvals – regarding delivery access – would be given, a spokeswoman said they had not heard from Tesco since before Christmas.
She said: “It’s their responsibility to approach us for these approvals, but we actually contacted them last year to remind them that they need to get in touch with us.
You may also want to watch:
“They contacted us shortly before Christmas and [as of February 2] we are still waiting for them to pay the necessary fees before we can start organising approval and the required legal agreements.”
She added: “This process could take two to three months.”
- 1 When Spielberg and Tom Hanks came to Hatfield for filming
- 2 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 5 Welwyn Garden City school raises nearly £1,000 for Isabel Hospice with annual 'Charity Day'
- 6 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 7 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
- 8 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 9 6 movies to watch on TV this week made in Herts
- 10 Two people rescued after flood warnings issued
On Monday, Tesco responded to Herts Highways’ comments.
A spokeswoman said: “We are working with Herts Highways to secure the necessary highways consents, and all fees have [now] been made.”
Tesco has employed 22 people – currently on a training programme – to work at the new store.