Tesco’s opening in Potters Bar delayed by two months
A SUPERMARKET set to open in Potters Bar last week will keep its doors closed – for at least two months.
The grand opening of the Tesco Express store in Mutton Lane was due to take place on Wednesday, but was delayed due to highways issues.
At the time a Tesco spokeswoman said they were waiting for “neccessary approvals” to be granted by Hertfordshire Highways in order for the store to open.
When the Potters Bar Edition contacted Herts Highways to find out when these approvals – regarding delivery access – would be given, a spokeswoman said they had not heard from Tesco since before Christmas.
She said: “It’s their responsibility to approach us for these approvals, but we actually contacted them last year to remind them that they need to get in touch with us.
You may also want to watch:
“They contacted us shortly before Christmas and [as of February 2] we are still waiting for them to pay the necessary fees before we can start organising approval and the required legal agreements.”
She added: “This process could take two to three months.”
- 1 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 2 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 3 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 4 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 5 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
- 6 Fundraiser bakes 100 cookies to support NHS and carers as part of Captain Tom challenge
- 7 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 8 Who are our Welwyn Hatfield candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 9 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 10 Drug trafficker guilty of 'cruel and tragic' Cameron Hill murder
On Monday, Tesco responded to Herts Highways’ comments.
A spokeswoman said: “We are working with Herts Highways to secure the necessary highways consents, and all fees have [now] been made.”
Tesco has employed 22 people – currently on a training programme – to work at the new store.