Welwyn Garden City-headquarted Tesco chief executive steps down
- Credit: Archant
The chief executive of Tesco, which has its headquarters in Welwyn Garden City, has stepped down.
Yesterday it was annouced that Dave Lewis will be succeeded by former Walgreens Boots Alliance manager Ken Murphy.
The chairman of Tesco, John Allan, said he regretted Mr Lewis' decision but thanked the five-year Tesco boss for giving him the time to find a replacement.
Mr Allan said: "Under Dave's leadership Tesco has transformed customer satisfaction and rebuilt the business.
"We can now move forward with renewed confidence."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Lewis, who is expected to leave in the summer of 2020, said: "When that time comes, I will watch progress from outside with interest, deep affection and pride.
"In the meantime, you can be sure that I will give the job everything I have until my very last day."
- 1 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 2 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 3 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 4 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 5 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 6 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 7 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
- 8 Who are our Welwyn Hatfield candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 9 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 10 Fundraiser bakes 100 cookies to support NHS and carers as part of Captain Tom challenge
Full year operating profit at Tesco rose by 34 per cent in 2018 compared to the previous year.