Teenager killed in Hatfield crash was on wrong side of road
A TEENAGE driver died in a head-on crash after overtaking on the wrong side of the road, an inquest heard today (Wednesday). Suraj Bhayani, 19, was killed when his silver Vauxhall Corsa hit a Mercedes Vito van, on Comet Way, in Hatfield. Hatfield Coroner
A TEENAGE driver died in a head-on crash after overtaking on the wrong side of the road, an inquest heard today (Wednesday).
Suraj Bhayani, 19, was killed when his silver Vauxhall Corsa hit a Mercedes Vito van, on Comet Way, in Hatfield.
Hatfield Coroner's Court heard how Mr Bhayani, who was driving to visit his sister at the University of Hertfordshire, overtook a black Renault Twingo on the northbound stretch, missing the no passing signs.
His silver vehicle burst into flames after the crash.
You may also want to watch:
The Harrow man's passenger, Manish Bhatia, was rescued by other motorists and police officers at the scene.
However, they were unable to save Mr Bhayani, who was trapped and unconscious due to carbon monoxide fumes.
- 1 When Spielberg and Tom Hanks came to Hatfield for filming
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Welwyn Garden City school raises nearly £1,000 for Isabel Hospice with annual 'Charity Day'
- 4 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 5 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 6 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
- 7 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 8 Graduate to create original African sci-fi series for Disney+
- 9 6 movies to watch on TV this week made in Herts
- 10 Scammer pretending to be a police officer stole thousands from 99-year-old man
The accident, which happened at 8.15pm on Monday, October 13, closed Comet Way for more than 24 hours.
Workmen had to resurface 600 sq m of damaged road and replacing road markings.
Coroner Edward Thomas recorded a verdict of accidental death.