Teenager killed in Hatfield crash was on wrong side of road
A TEENAGE driver died in a head-on crash after overtaking on the wrong side of the road, an inquest heard today (Wednesday). Suraj Bhayani, 19, was killed when his silver Vauxhall Corsa hit a Mercedes Vito van, on Comet Way, in Hatfield. Hatfield Coroner
A TEENAGE driver died in a head-on crash after overtaking on the wrong side of the road, an inquest heard today (Wednesday).
Suraj Bhayani, 19, was killed when his silver Vauxhall Corsa hit a Mercedes Vito van, on Comet Way, in Hatfield.
Hatfield Coroner's Court heard how Mr Bhayani, who was driving to visit his sister at the University of Hertfordshire, overtook a black Renault Twingo on the northbound stretch, missing the no passing signs.
His silver vehicle burst into flames after the crash.
The Harrow man's passenger, Manish Bhatia, was rescued by other motorists and police officers at the scene.
However, they were unable to save Mr Bhayani, who was trapped and unconscious due to carbon monoxide fumes.
- 1 Remembering WGC stalwart Robert Robinson
- 2 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 3 VOTE: Which is your favourite chip shop in all of Hertfordshire?
- 4 Rent this Welwyn townhouse with River Mimram views for £2,400pcm
- 5 Ariana Grande and Cynthia Erivo’s Wicked movies to be filmed at new Sky Studios Elstree in Hertfordshire
- 6 Woman left with injuries after dog attack in Woolmer Green
- 7 Jobs created as new entertainment centre opens in Hatfield
- 8 Grade II Hatfield hotel refurbishment continues
- 9 RSPCA rescue cats in Potters Bar waiting to find their forever homes
- 10 Delight as Welwyn Garden City’s Rowan Tree crowned Nursery of the Year
The accident, which happened at 8.15pm on Monday, October 13, closed Comet Way for more than 24 hours.
Workmen had to resurface 600 sq m of damaged road and replacing road markings.
Coroner Edward Thomas recorded a verdict of accidental death.