Teenager killed in Hatfield crash was on wrong side of road
A TEENAGE driver died in a head-on crash after overtaking on the wrong side of the road, an inquest heard today (Wednesday). Suraj Bhayani, 19, was killed when his silver Vauxhall Corsa hit a Mercedes Vito van, on Comet Way, in Hatfield. Hatfield Coroner
A TEENAGE driver died in a head-on crash after overtaking on the wrong side of the road, an inquest heard today (Wednesday).
Suraj Bhayani, 19, was killed when his silver Vauxhall Corsa hit a Mercedes Vito van, on Comet Way, in Hatfield.
Hatfield Coroner's Court heard how Mr Bhayani, who was driving to visit his sister at the University of Hertfordshire, overtook a black Renault Twingo on the northbound stretch, missing the no passing signs.
His silver vehicle burst into flames after the crash.
You may also want to watch:
The Harrow man's passenger, Manish Bhatia, was rescued by other motorists and police officers at the scene.
However, they were unable to save Mr Bhayani, who was trapped and unconscious due to carbon monoxide fumes.
- 1 Arrests made following stop and searches – including teenager with baton
- 2 Banned driver jailed following high-speed police chase
- 3 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 4 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 5 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 6 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 9 How Welwyn's White Hart pub improvised after £100K kitchen inferno
- 10 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
The accident, which happened at 8.15pm on Monday, October 13, closed Comet Way for more than 24 hours.
Workmen had to resurface 600 sq m of damaged road and replacing road markings.
Coroner Edward Thomas recorded a verdict of accidental death.