Teenage Hatfield boxer Billy Joe delighted with his pro debut
TEENAGE Hatfield boxer Billy Joe Saunders was delighted with his debut in the paid ranks last night.The 19-year-old Olympian beat Hungarian Attila Molnar inside two rounds in his first professional fight in Birmingham on Saturday.Olympian Billy Joe put
TEENAGE Hatfield boxer Billy Joe Saunders was delighted with his debut in the paid ranks last night.
The 19-year-old Olympian beat Hungarian Attila Molnar inside two rounds in his first professional fight in Birmingham on Saturday.
Olympian Billy Joe put on a superb show for both the thousands packed inside the National Indoor Arena and also those watching at home live on Sky Sports.
The contest was stopped after just 1 minute 47 seconds of the second round, making it a dream start for the Romany gypsy fighter from Hatfield.
You may also want to watch:
"I listened to my instructions from Jimmy Tibbs and his son Mark and Dean Powell, who is a very experienced man, so I couldn't really go wrong with them in my corner," Saunders told Sky Sports ringside afterwards with the cheers still echoing in his ears.
"If I listened to them I couldn't put a foot wrong."
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 3 When Spielberg and Tom Hanks came to Hatfield for filming
- 4 Exploring the challenges of being furloughed during lockdown
- 5 Charity's face mask exempt cards sold at an inflated price on Facebook
- 6 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 7 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 8 Head of planning to leave for county council role
- 9 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
- 10 Welwyn Hatfield's links to new Disney+ series WandaVision
Saunders showed few signs of nerves or inexperience in his first fight without a headguard or vest.
He said: "It was my debut, so I wanted to put on a display and a show for everyone else.
"They have all paid their money and that's what they have come to see; a good fight.
"Hopefully that's what I give them every time they come and watch me."
Billy Joe's fellow Olympians, James DeGale and Frankie Gavin, also won their first pro fights last night.