Takeover sparks jobs fear at Welwyn Garden City firm
THE threat of job losses among 800 WGC workers has surfaced after the takeover of a pharmaceutical giant. Schering-Plough, which has its UK base in Shire Park, has been bought out by rivals Merck in a multi-billion pound deal. The move will create a new g
THE threat of job losses among 800 WGC workers has surfaced after the takeover of a pharmaceutical giant.
Schering-Plough, which has its UK base in Shire Park, has been bought out by rivals Merck in a multi-billion pound deal.
The move will create a new global drugs giant and see the two US firms - with a combined UK workforce of nearly 3,000 - join forces later this year.
There are fears it could trigger a 15 per cent reduction in the combined global workforce.
You may also want to watch:
Schering-Plough employs 51,000 around the world including 1,500 in the UK - more than half of which work in or from Shire Park.
But a spokesman this week told the WHT it was too early to say what impact the takeover would have on staff numbers here.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
- 3 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 4 From 'the worst zoo in the UK' to popular attraction: Looking back on Paradise Wildlife Park's 37 years
- 5 Rogue landlord hit with record £90,000 fine for safety failings
- 6 Plans for 'largest film studio in the UK' revealed for Hertfordshire
- 7 Second major film and TV studios plan revealed for site near Sky Studios Elstree
- 8 JD Wetherspoons lists building in town centre for sale
- 9 CCTV appeal after safe containing cash and watches stolen
- 10 Eight vehicles seized after police operation to crack down on crime
The �29bn deal, to be paid in shares and cash, will bring together the makers of blockbuster treatments including cholesterol drugs Zetia and Vytorin.
Schering-Plough chairman Fred Hassan said: "By harnessing the strengths of both companies, the combined entity will be well-positioned to further deliver on our shared goal of discovering new therapies for patients to help them live healthier, happier lives.