Takeover sparks jobs fear at Welwyn Garden City firm
THE threat of job losses among 800 WGC workers has surfaced after the takeover of a pharmaceutical giant. Schering-Plough, which has its UK base in Shire Park, has been bought out by rivals Merck in a multi-billion pound deal. The move will create a new g
THE threat of job losses among 800 WGC workers has surfaced after the takeover of a pharmaceutical giant.
Schering-Plough, which has its UK base in Shire Park, has been bought out by rivals Merck in a multi-billion pound deal.
The move will create a new global drugs giant and see the two US firms - with a combined UK workforce of nearly 3,000 - join forces later this year.
There are fears it could trigger a 15 per cent reduction in the combined global workforce.
You may also want to watch:
Schering-Plough employs 51,000 around the world including 1,500 in the UK - more than half of which work in or from Shire Park.
But a spokesman this week told the WHT it was too early to say what impact the takeover would have on staff numbers here.
- 1 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 4 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 6 Parked car leads to build up of waste, council claims
- 7 Principal reveals biggest challenges and successes during her time at Oaklands College
- 8 Will Bridgerton return to Hertfordshire for season two?
- 9 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 10 How did our town centres hold up under pressure last year?
The �29bn deal, to be paid in shares and cash, will bring together the makers of blockbuster treatments including cholesterol drugs Zetia and Vytorin.
Schering-Plough chairman Fred Hassan said: "By harnessing the strengths of both companies, the combined entity will be well-positioned to further deliver on our shared goal of discovering new therapies for patients to help them live healthier, happier lives.