Tackling the Three Peaks Challenge - in a pair of flip-flops
CLIMBING three of the UK's highest mountains is a gruelling enough feat in itself. But to take on the challenge in a pair of flip-flops – and to come home without so much as a blister – makes the achievement all the more incredible. Jamie Caswell was part
CLIMBING three of the UK's highest mountains is a gruelling enough feat in itself.
But to take on the challenge in a pair of flip-flops - and to come home without so much as a blister - makes the achievement all the more incredible.
Jamie Caswell was part of a team of seven paediatric nurses from the QE2 Hospital, WGC, who tackled the Three Peaks Challenge.
The foot-crippling adventure took them up the highest peaks of Scotland, England and Wales - Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon.
You may also want to watch:
In total they walked 25 miles and scaled 10,000ft over three days.
Jamie, 28, said: "I decided to wear my flip-flops just to prove a point after the girls kept telling me 'you've got to do it this way' or 'you should wear these' or 'you should wear those'!
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 4 How Welwyn's White Hart pub improvised after £100K kitchen inferno
- 5 Banned driver jailed following high-speed police chase
- 6 County success for Phil Embleton while Brookmans Park golfers enjoy annual highlight
- 7 'Another Jo Cox' - Hatfield councillor predicted MP attack months before David Amess death
- 8 The Proclaimers to headline Folk by the Oak in Hatfield Park
- 9 Arrests made following stop and searches – including teenager with baton
- 10 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
"At first I just thought I'd start in them then I got to the top of Ben Nevis and it wasn't too bad at all.
"I was one of the only ones with no blisters by the end!"
The group, who all work in children's A&E at the WGC hospital, raised nearly �1,500, which will go towards a new paediatric ventilator.
Jamie was joined by colleagues Ruby Caldito, Katie Green, Lizzie Bessell, Nicole Hart, Anthea Francis and Gerry Cook. Del Smith from St John Ambulance also tagged along.
The team is still looking to build on the sponsorship total. Visit www.justgiving. com/threepeaksqe2 to help them out.