Students saved by smoke alarm

PUBLISHED: 16:48 22 February 2008 | UPDATED: 21:52 26 October 2009

Five students were saved by their smoke alarm after a fire broke out in their student accommodation. Three fire crews attended a kitchen fire on Roberts Way in Hatfield at 9.30pm The five students, who were all asleep at the time, were alerted

Five students were saved by their smoke alarm after a fire broke out in their student accommodation.

Three fire crews attended a kitchen fire on Roberts Way in Hatfield at 9.30pm

"The five students, who were all asleep at the time, were alerted to a fire by their smoke alarms," said watch commander Dave Hunt, from Hatfield fire station.

"The fire started accidentally by an electrical fault in the fridge, and although the fire was relatively small when we arrived, the house was full with noxious smoke and could have developed further if it wasn't for the early warning from the smoke alarm. They were all able to get out of the house safely before the fire took hold and without breathing too much of the smoke."

Firefighters used four sets of breathing apparatus, a hose reel and a jet to put out the fire.

Dave added: "This incident highlights the importance of having working smoke alarms fitted in your home. We will come to your house and fit them for free as part of our home fire safety check scheme, so there's no excuse for not having one. I'd urge people to call 0800 587 3347 to book an appointment as it could save your life.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists