Star turn for pub manager
THE manager of a popular pub in Times Territory has scooped a prestigious industry award. Karen Roberts, from the North Star pub in Welwyn, has picked up the McMullen manager of the year award - the Hertfordshire-based brewery's highest accolade.
THE manager of a popular pub in Times Territory has scooped a prestigious industry award.
Karen Roberts, from the North Star pub in Welwyn, has picked up the McMullen manager of the year award - the Hertfordshire-based brewery's highest accolade.
She beat 86 other managers to the gong, having finished runner up in the category last year.
"I'm absolutely over the moon," the 47-year-old said. "It was totally unexpected. We didn't think we'd get it after finishing runner up last year.
You may also want to watch:
"But we did, which just goes to show hard work, and working as a team, pays off. There's no other secret; it's just hard work from everybody."
Heydon Mizon, McMullen's operations director, said: "We are all very proud of Karen's achievements and I am sure her customers will be pleased for her.
- 1 Keep on the grass - sign telling people to stay off land taped over
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Welwyn Garden City Hockey Club pushing for more girls to play in centenary season
- 5 Save Symondshyde still waiting for inspector's report
- 6 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM
- 7 Welwyn continue meteoric rise up the table as Owais Shah takes centre stage again
- 8 Heroic dogs win Royal Veterinary College award
- 9 'This doesn’t make much sense' - MPs react to proposed boundary changes
- 10 Pupils present cheque from Captain Tom 100 Challenge to charity
"It will not be a surprise to Karen's guests to hear she has won, we regularly receive compliments about the experience at the North Star."
For more on this story, see this week's Welwyn & Hatfield Times, out now.