Star turn for pub manager
THE manager of a popular pub in Times Territory has scooped a prestigious industry award. Karen Roberts, from the North Star pub in Welwyn, has picked up the McMullen manager of the year award - the Hertfordshire-based brewery's highest accolade.
THE manager of a popular pub in Times Territory has scooped a prestigious industry award.
Karen Roberts, from the North Star pub in Welwyn, has picked up the McMullen manager of the year award - the Hertfordshire-based brewery's highest accolade.
She beat 86 other managers to the gong, having finished runner up in the category last year.
"I'm absolutely over the moon," the 47-year-old said. "It was totally unexpected. We didn't think we'd get it after finishing runner up last year.
You may also want to watch:
"But we did, which just goes to show hard work, and working as a team, pays off. There's no other secret; it's just hard work from everybody."
Heydon Mizon, McMullen's operations director, said: "We are all very proud of Karen's achievements and I am sure her customers will be pleased for her.
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 3 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 4 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 5 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 6 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 7 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Residents and councillors react to Lloyds Bank closure
- 10 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
"It will not be a surprise to Karen's guests to hear she has won, we regularly receive compliments about the experience at the North Star."
For more on this story, see this week's Welwyn & Hatfield Times, out now.