Community Christmas tree vandalised
- Credit: Archant
A community Christmas tree was destroyed by “sick-minded” vandals last night.
Police were called after vandals cut down the Christmas tree next to the South Mimms war memorial sometime during the night.
Local residents Mick Harverson, Barry Stallan and Gordon Cameron, volunteered over three hours of their time to put the tree up and make it look beautiful.
Mick told the Welwyn Hatfield Times: “Someone overnight has come along and cut the ropes that hold the tree upright.
“Some of the ropes have also been untied which has caused the tree to fall.”
You may also want to watch:
The fairy lights around the tree and some of the decorations, including the star on the top, have also been broken.
Mick added: “I am currently out and about to buy some new decorations and lights because whoever did this will not win.
- 1 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 2 Supermarket evacuated and fire services called following ‘strong smell of gas’
- 3 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 4 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 5 Drugs worth £50,000 found in van pulled over for fly-tipping
- 6 Student wins prestigious cyber security award and trip to NASA
- 7 Chatty duo want to help build community with conversation
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Do you have the unclaimed £1 million winning lottery ticket bought in Welwyn Hatfield?
- 10 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
“What is this country coming to?
“This is such a disrespectful act of vandalism.”
The South Mimms Parish Council funded the tree which cost around £400, including the cost of the lights.
Councillor Martin Worster said: “It is appalling and sick-minded that anyone could do this to something so harmless that isn’t hurting anybody.
“The parish council pride themselves and put a lot of work into that Christmas tree so it is beyond disrespectful of somebody to do this.
“It’s a community tree for the residents and the children love it. It’s just sickening.”