Sneak preview of Olympic site with Welwyn Garden City councillor
Welwyn Garden City councillor Malcolm Cowan takes a look around an Olympic venue on our doorstep.
But this week WGC borough and county councillor Malcolm Cowan was given a sneak preview around the only purpose-built Olympic venue which will be open to the public ahead of the 2012 Games.
The centre, near Waltham Cross, will host the canoe slalom events and will become a major white water rafting and canoe attraction.
Cllr Cowan, who is also a member of the Lea Valley Regional Park Authority and is pictured above, was overwhelmed by the spectacular venue.
He said: “As we arrived, they turned on the pumps to put water into the intermediate course; in minutes a basin of concrete had filled with water and the rapids were bursting with life.
You may also want to watch:
“Then we went on to see the Olympic course – it had canoeists and kayakers; they said it is the best white water course in the world.
“It is fantastic for Hertfordshire to have this close at hand.”
- 1 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 2 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 3 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 New care home opens in Potters Bar
- 7 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 8 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 9 Hatfield Battle Proms concert is still going ahead as planned this summer
- 10 'This doesn’t make much sense' - MPs react to proposed boundary changes