Sneak preview of Olympic site with Welwyn Garden City councillor
Welwyn Garden City councillor Malcolm Cowan takes a look around an Olympic venue on our doorstep.
But this week WGC borough and county councillor Malcolm Cowan was given a sneak preview around the only purpose-built Olympic venue which will be open to the public ahead of the 2012 Games.
The centre, near Waltham Cross, will host the canoe slalom events and will become a major white water rafting and canoe attraction.
Cllr Cowan, who is also a member of the Lea Valley Regional Park Authority and is pictured above, was overwhelmed by the spectacular venue.
He said: “As we arrived, they turned on the pumps to put water into the intermediate course; in minutes a basin of concrete had filled with water and the rapids were bursting with life.
You may also want to watch:
“Then we went on to see the Olympic course – it had canoeists and kayakers; they said it is the best white water course in the world.
“It is fantastic for Hertfordshire to have this close at hand.”
- 1 Murder-suicide investigation in Welwyn Garden City
- 2 YMCA overdose victims claim 'neglectful support service' at Welwyn Garden City facility
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 Five hospitalised after Hatfield dog attack
- 5 Arson attack on two cars in Hatfield street
- 6 Bargains for shoppers at exclusive Hatfield Galleria VIP event
- 7 Nearly 30 Insulate Britain protestors arrested this morning
- 8 First Slam Dunk Festival 2022 headliners announced for Hatfield Park
- 9 Ed Sheeran announces 2022 stadium tour: How to get tickets
- 10 Slam Dunk Festival 2022 dates announced for Queen's Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend