Smoking manhole drama in Potters Bar
PUBLISHED: 13:45 08 February 2019 | UPDATED: 13:45 08 February 2019
Nearly 250 Potters Bar homes were without power after a fault on the underground network last night.
There were sparks and steam coming from a manhole in Aberdale Gardens.
Residents said lights were flickering and the electricity was also cut off at one point.
It is understood that the power cut affected both Aberdale Gardens and Sherwood Avenue.
Firefighters were called to the scene just before 10.30pm last night, but didn’t carry out any work and left it in the hands of UK Power Networks.
A spokeswoman for UK Power Networks told the Welwyn Hatfield Times: “Engineers worked quickly and safely to restore power supplies to customers in the Aberdale Gardens area of Potters Bar last night.
“A fault on the underground network interrupted supplies to 134 customers at 8.40pm and engineers needed to turn off supplies to a further 113 properties from 10pm to safely carry our repairs.
“All supplies were restored by 2.30am.
“We apologise to customers for any inconvenience caused.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.