‘Skimming’ machine discovered at Potters Bar ATM
CROOKS tampered with a cash machine in Potters Bar in a bid to get cardholders’ personal details.
Police are appealing for information and witnesses after a woman found the device attached to the HSBC cash point machine in Darkes Lane on Saturday.
Officers say the device was for ‘skimming’, which is when data is taken from the magnetic strip of a credit or debit card and copied onto another card without the original card owner’s knowledge.
Pc Paul Francis said: “The woman did the right thing in this instance.
“She suspected there was something wrong with the machine and reported it immediately.
You may also want to watch:
“I would urge people to contact police if they saw anyone acting suspiciously around the cash machine or indeed any other ATMs in the area.”
He added: “Also, if anyone has had their card retained by that machine dishonestly and not reported it should contact police.”
- 1 Murder-suicide investigation in Welwyn Garden City
- 2 YMCA overdose victims claim 'neglectful support service' at Welwyn Garden City facility
- 3 Five hospitalised after Hatfield dog attack
- 4 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 5 Arson attack on two cars in Hatfield street
- 6 First Slam Dunk Festival 2022 headliners announced for Hatfield Park
- 7 Bargains for shoppers at exclusive Hatfield Galleria VIP event
- 8 Nearly 30 Insulate Britain protestors arrested this morning
- 9 Ed Sheeran announces 2022 stadium tour: How to get tickets
- 10 Slam Dunk Festival 2022 dates announced for Queen's Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend
* Anyone with information should call police on 0845 33 00 222.