‘Skimming’ machine discovered at Potters Bar ATM
CROOKS tampered with a cash machine in Potters Bar in a bid to get cardholders’ personal details.
Police are appealing for information and witnesses after a woman found the device attached to the HSBC cash point machine in Darkes Lane on Saturday.
Officers say the device was for ‘skimming’, which is when data is taken from the magnetic strip of a credit or debit card and copied onto another card without the original card owner’s knowledge.
Pc Paul Francis said: “The woman did the right thing in this instance.
“She suspected there was something wrong with the machine and reported it immediately.
You may also want to watch:
“I would urge people to contact police if they saw anyone acting suspiciously around the cash machine or indeed any other ATMs in the area.”
He added: “Also, if anyone has had their card retained by that machine dishonestly and not reported it should contact police.”
- 1 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 2 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 3 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 New care home opens in Potters Bar
- 7 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 8 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 9 Hatfield Battle Proms concert is still going ahead as planned this summer
- 10 'This doesn’t make much sense' - MPs react to proposed boundary changes
* Anyone with information should call police on 0845 33 00 222.