Sixty years fly by for diamond Welwyn Garden City couple
"GIVE and take".That is the secret to a long and healthy marriage, according to one couple from WGC who celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary last week. Ron and Joyce Bedford marked their diamond wedding with a small family gathering on Thursday, bef
"GIVE and take". That is the secret to a long and healthy marriage, according to one couple from WGC who celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary last week.
Ron and Joyce Bedford marked their diamond wedding with a small family gathering on Thursday, before heading off to Wiltshire for a weekend break.
Speaking to the Welwyn & Hatfield Times at his Howlands home, Ron said the last 60 years had flown by.
"It goes very quickly," the 81-year-old said.
You may also want to watch:
But he laughed: "We are looking forward to the next 60 years!"
The couple, who are originally from London, have lived in WGC for nearly 52 years.
- 1 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 2 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 3 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 4 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 5 Coroner rules Joy Morgan death 'unlawful killing' but finds no cause at inquest
- 6 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 7 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
- 8 Bank becomes latest to be lost from town centre
- 9 COVID-19 outbreaks now in half of all Herts care homes
- 10 Former Spitfire and Hurricane engineer celebrates 100th birthday
But despite the length of time they have spent together, Joyce said their marriage had been "quite easy".
"I have got no complaints," the 78-year-old smiled.
"It is a question of give and take, learning to understand one another and sort out problems without throwing things and screaming and shouting at one another."
Ron, a former engineer, and Joyce, an ex-Welwyn Hatfield Council worker, have three sons, namely Steve, 58, Leslie, 55 and Raymond, 53.
They also have seven grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.