Six-car pile-up on A1(M) near Welwyn
MOTORISTS are being told to expect long delays on their way to work this morning (Thursday) after an earlier crash involving six vehicles.
The collision happened at around 6.45am, on the southbound carriageway between junction seven for Stevenage and junction six for Welwyn, and involved a white Citroen Berlingo, a blue Ford Mondeo, a black Mercedes, a silver Ford Fusion, a silver Volkswagen Polo and a grey Renault Scenic.
Two people, a man and a woman, were taken to the Lister Hospital in Stevenage with minor injuries.
East of England Ambulance spokesman Gary Sanderson said: “We believe six vehicles had collided and a man and a woman were slightly injured. Paramedics treated them at the scene before they were taken to the Lister Hospital in Stevenage.”
“We have a spate of road collisions throughout Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire this morning and thankfully all minor. We are asking the public to take care whilst driving during the wet conditions.”
You may also want to watch:
Traffic is said to be backing up as far as junction 10 on the A1(M), and all roads surrounding the area, including the B197, A1000 and Codicote Road, have been affected.
The northbound carriageway is also believed to be backed up to the Hatfield tunnel, as motorists slow down to look at the crash scene.
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 3 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 4 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 5 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 6 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 7 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Residents and councillors react to Lloyds Bank closure
- 10 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
A police spokeswoman said the road has now been cleared, and traffic is beginning to move again, albeit slowly.