Sir Nick Faldo pays tribute to ‘gentleman’ dad after death
- Credit: Archant
Welwyn Garden City golf great Sir Nick Faldo has paid tribute to his father, who died today (Tuesday).
The former world number one branded his father George “a gentleman and a gentle man”.
Sir Nick said: “With an honest sparkle in his eye and story in his heart, he charmed his life’s gallery, one person at a time.
“He was an easy mark for a laugh and an easy mark for a tear, illustrating every day his own simple appreciation for the simplest moments in life.
“That, along with his own signature nod of his head and eternally outstretched hand to greet a visitor or a friend, will forever define the many memories I will hold close.
You may also want to watch:
“Thanks, Dad, for everything. We took the most amazing journey together.”
George Arthur Faldo was born on May 11, 1926 in Poplar, London.
- 1 Murder-suicide investigation in Welwyn Garden City
- 2 Councillor disappointed as BioPark appeal confirmed
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 Grant Shapps suddenly cancels constituency event amid fuel chaos
- 5 Five hospitalised after Hatfield dog attack
- 6 Ed Sheeran announces 2022 stadium tour: How to get tickets
- 7 Two more acts added to Hatfield music festival's 'line-up of headliners' for 2022
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 'So much for grassroots tennis' - Price hike at Gosling Sports Park sparks ire
- 10 New Local Plan timetable aims for summer deadline
He lived in Welwyn Garden City for 65 years, and his wife of 67 years, Joyce, is a life-long resident.
After retiring as a career accountant from ICI in the town, Mr Faldo and his wife were walking enthusiasts and active members of the community’s Footpath Society, where he served as accountant for the club for 20 years.
Remembered for taking his only child to his first Open Championships at Royal Troon and Royal Lytham St Anne’s in 1973 and 1974, Mr Faldo was later recognized as his son’s biggest supporter.
Mr Faldo was moved to tears at his son’s knighting at Windsor Castle on November 10, 2009.
In recent years, Mr Faldo and his wife have served as presenters of the Faldo Trophy at the Welwyn Garden City Golf Club, where they brought their son for his first golf lesson at the age of 14.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Mr Faldo’s memory to The Faldo Series, 19 Russell Street, Windsor, England.