Silver lining for CAMRA award-winning pub
IT’S already been a good year for landlord Tom Craig and his pub – and it could be about to get even better.
Not content with presiding over the multi-award-winning Woodman pub in Wild Hill, which this week was named the Silver Winner in the South Herts CAMRA Pub of the Year awards, Tom has now acquired another boozer just down the road.
The 26-year-old has taken over the lease at The Candlestick, in neighbouring Essendon, along with girlfriend Vicky Judson.
The couple plan to reopen the West End establishment, currently empty, as a stylish country pub and restaurant serving traditional British grub.
“There were rumours going around that maybe The Candlestick was going to shut for good, so we like to think we have saved a local pub, but also can turn it into something quite special,” said Tom.
You may also want to watch:
All the efforts going into revamping The Candlestick will not be to the detriment of The Woodman, however.
Tom will remain as landlord of the seven-time CAMRA pub of the year while Vicky takes charge of The Candlestick when it re-opens in July.
- 1 'We were only open 20 days before the first lockdown' - First time restaurant owner optimistic after difficult first year
- 2 Ocado opens new development centre, creating 100 new jobs
- 3 May 17: Pub ready for reopening after £440k refurbishment
- 4 Social club 'blown away' by community support while closed for extended period
- 5 Search continues for missing Stevenage man
- 6 Top gear! Supercars drive into Knebworth for Petrolheadonism event
- 7 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 8 Weight lifted as Slimming World classes return as COVID-19 restrictions ease
- 9 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 10 Chatty duo want to help build community with conversation
He said: “We are hoping the two pubs can work hand in hand, with The Woodman offering the wide selection of real ales as a good old traditional boozer, and the Candlestick offering a selection of quality real ale, a wine list to suit all tastes, accompanied by a great British pub classic menu.”
A busy few months lie ahead for Tom.
Before The Candlestick grand opening, the annual Woodman beer festival is taking place in June.
Call 01707 642618 for more information.