Silver lining for CAMRA award-winning pub
IT’S already been a good year for landlord Tom Craig and his pub – and it could be about to get even better.
Not content with presiding over the multi-award-winning Woodman pub in Wild Hill, which this week was named the Silver Winner in the South Herts CAMRA Pub of the Year awards, Tom has now acquired another boozer just down the road.
The 26-year-old has taken over the lease at The Candlestick, in neighbouring Essendon, along with girlfriend Vicky Judson.
The couple plan to reopen the West End establishment, currently empty, as a stylish country pub and restaurant serving traditional British grub.
“There were rumours going around that maybe The Candlestick was going to shut for good, so we like to think we have saved a local pub, but also can turn it into something quite special,” said Tom.
You may also want to watch:
All the efforts going into revamping The Candlestick will not be to the detriment of The Woodman, however.
Tom will remain as landlord of the seven-time CAMRA pub of the year while Vicky takes charge of The Candlestick when it re-opens in July.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 5 Council named wrong town planner as Garden City's principle creator
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 8 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 9 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 10 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
He said: “We are hoping the two pubs can work hand in hand, with The Woodman offering the wide selection of real ales as a good old traditional boozer, and the Candlestick offering a selection of quality real ale, a wine list to suit all tastes, accompanied by a great British pub classic menu.”
A busy few months lie ahead for Tom.
Before The Candlestick grand opening, the annual Woodman beer festival is taking place in June.
Call 01707 642618 for more information.