Shoot some arrows at Welwyn Garden City archery club
THIS week I was challenged to take up a bow and shoot a few arrows with the regulars at the RS Archery Club in WGC.
Happy to have a go, well actually in my head I thought I’d be great – how hard can it be? – I joined one of their regular Thursday night sessions.
Under the expert eye of club owner Steve Davies, I took my place on the line with young and old alike, including a group of youngsters aged under 10, who were clearly going to show me up.
Okay, pick up bow, aim, fire... well, there was a little bit more to it than that, especially if I wanted to get anywhere near the target.
Steve, who runs the club with wife Rebekah, who together have over 30 years archery experience, took me through the safety aspects, although most of these were common sense like not shooting or collecting arrows until told to.
You may also want to watch:
With a little help from Steve, and with my hands and arms in the correct-ish spots, I began to at least hit the target. I even hit gold on a few occasions too.
Although I must admit these were more likely to the result of a bit of luck too.
- 1 Keep on the grass - sign telling people to stay off land taped over
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Welwyn Garden City Hockey Club pushing for more girls to play in centenary season
- 5 Save Symondshyde still waiting for inspector's report
- 6 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM
- 7 Welwyn continue meteoric rise up the table as Owais Shah takes centre stage again
- 8 Heroic dogs win Royal Veterinary College award
- 9 'This doesn’t make much sense' - MPs react to proposed boundary changes
- 10 Brookmans Park Golf Club delighted with all aspects of a great club championship day
The evening was great fun and one I’d certainly recommend.
So if you’ve had a go on holiday and wanted somewhere near home to learn the finer skills or if it’s just something you’ve always wanted to do, then this friendly and relaxed club should be the place for you.
RS Archery is based at Sir Frederic Osborn School, Herns Lane, WGC, and runs both indoors in the winter and outside throughout the summer.
n For more details about RS Archery providing corporate or private parties, or more about the club, call 01707 692415 or visit www.rsarchery.co.uk