Shoot some arrows at Welwyn Garden City archery club
THIS week I was challenged to take up a bow and shoot a few arrows with the regulars at the RS Archery Club in WGC.
Happy to have a go, well actually in my head I thought I’d be great – how hard can it be? – I joined one of their regular Thursday night sessions.
Under the expert eye of club owner Steve Davies, I took my place on the line with young and old alike, including a group of youngsters aged under 10, who were clearly going to show me up.
Okay, pick up bow, aim, fire... well, there was a little bit more to it than that, especially if I wanted to get anywhere near the target.
Steve, who runs the club with wife Rebekah, who together have over 30 years archery experience, took me through the safety aspects, although most of these were common sense like not shooting or collecting arrows until told to.
You may also want to watch:
With a little help from Steve, and with my hands and arms in the correct-ish spots, I began to at least hit the target. I even hit gold on a few occasions too.
Although I must admit these were more likely to the result of a bit of luck too.
- 1 Murder-suicide investigation in Welwyn Garden City
- 2 Five hospitalised after Hatfield dog attack
- 3 Councillor disappointed as BioPark appeal confirmed
- 4 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 5 Grant Shapps suddenly cancels constituency event amid fuel chaos
- 6 New Local Plan timetable aims for summer deadline
- 7 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 8 'So much for grassroots tennis' - Price hike at Gosling Sports Park sparks ire
- 9 Two more acts added to Hatfield music festival's 'line-up of headliners' for 2022
- 10 YMCA overdose victims claim 'neglectful support service' at Welwyn Garden City facility
The evening was great fun and one I’d certainly recommend.
So if you’ve had a go on holiday and wanted somewhere near home to learn the finer skills or if it’s just something you’ve always wanted to do, then this friendly and relaxed club should be the place for you.
RS Archery is based at Sir Frederic Osborn School, Herns Lane, WGC, and runs both indoors in the winter and outside throughout the summer.
n For more details about RS Archery providing corporate or private parties, or more about the club, call 01707 692415 or visit www.rsarchery.co.uk