Shock at �2million funding cut for Welwyn Hatfield Council
WELWYN Hatfield Council will lose more than �2million in Government funding next year, in an move described as “not good news” for the borough.
Finance bosses at the council have been left reeling following Monday’s announcement by the Government on cuts to local authority funding, which revealed the borough would receive just �5.7m next year – a reduction of almost �2.2m.
The cuts are part of the Government’s plans to slash central funding to local authorities by 28 per cent over four years.
As previously reported in the WHT, the council had been expecting to lose around �1.7m – and had subsequently budgeted for that scenario.
But the unexpected figure means it will have to dig into its savings in order to plug the gap – and look at further cutbacks over the next four years.
You may also want to watch:
Deputy council leader Alan Franey, executive member for resources, said: “This is a tough local government finance settlement and not good news for Welwyn Hatfield.
“We have already been working hard to achieve a significant reduction in our budget for next year – however, the lateness of this announcement has placed greater pressure on us to consider how we manage future cuts in our budget and how we balance the books for 2011/12.”
- 1 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 2 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Keep on the grass - sign telling people to stay off land taped over
- 5 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Meet the man driving a tractor 270 miles from Cornwall to Codicote
- 9 New care home opens in Potters Bar
- 10 July 19: Extended restrictions will bring 'big costs' to our businesses
Council leader John Dean said that cutting public services was “the last resort”.
“There’s three ways we can go about this,” he said. “We can take it out of the savings, we can increase fees and prices, or we can cut services.
“The last thing I want to do is cut services. That is a last resort as far as I’m concerned.”
Hertfordshire County Council, meanwhile, will lose �33.5m of central funding next year.
Deputy council leader David Lloyd said: “The first indications are it’s broadly where we thought it would be.
“Until we’ve looked at all of the figures we won’t have a clear picture.”