Shapps launches X Factor-style search for new councillors
MOVE over X Factor, Welwyn Hatfield MP Grant Shapps has launched a new national talent hunt.
Mr Shapps wants to find “school gate mums and dads” to stand in local elections next May in a bid to become councillors.
And the local government minister returned to his constituency last Tuesday, to Bishop’s Hatfield Girls’ School, to launch his search, dubbed Your Community Needs You.
He said: “Next year, on May 5, around 31 million people will have the right to vote in local elections.
“But for democracy to thrive, people need to see the point in voting.
You may also want to watch:
“So we need talented community champions to have their names on those ballot papers.”
He said pupils at schools like Bishop’s Hatfield, as well as their parents, had the “kind of get-up-and-go attitude” which was also needed to become a councillor.
- 1 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 2 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 5 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 6 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 7 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 8 Skills the way forward for Hertfordshire’s Covid recovery as new strategy launched
- 9 Foundation makes much-needed toy donation to Welwyn Garden City school
- 10 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
“I’ve spotted this talent in the mums and dads who meet at the school gate, not just here but across the country.
“Yes, they spend time chatting and socialising – or even grabbing a quick coffee.
“But they’re finding out what’s going on, discussing what needs doing, and then they go do it.”
In his speech, Mr Shapps cited Welwyn Hatfield borough councillor Fiona Thomson as one such ‘school mum’ who had gone into politics on his advice, having knocked on her door.