Seven weeks left to sign up for Sleep Easy campaign
THERE are exactly seven weeks left until Central Herts YMCA’s Sleep Easy night takes place outside the Galleria in Hatfield.
To raise awareness of the problems facing homeless people, the WGC-based charity is hoping to get 200 people to spend an evening under the stars, to better understand the trails of living life on the streets, especially during winter.
The WHT is backing the campaign, and reporter Ross Logan will be one of those camping outside the Comet Way leisure complex on Saturday, January 30.
If you don’t think homelessness is a problem that affects you, consider this: an estimated 380,000 people are classed as homeless in the UK, and Welwyn Hatfield is currently one of the top 10 local authorities in England for families recently classified as homeless.
Meanwhile, the YMCA shelter in WGC is currently housing 123 people.
You may also want to watch:
One of those is Jo Norman, who told the WHT this week about how organisations like the YMCA helped her get back on her feet. “When I moved into the YMCA I had many problems,” she said. “The YMCA staff made me realise how important life is and what I could achieve. If it wasn’t for them I’m not sure where I’d be now. They pointed me in the right direction and involved me in voluntary work at the YMCA shop in WGC.”
“I am now the assistant manager of the YMCA furniture shop in Stevenage.”
- 1 Upgrades to key shopping street will leave town 'well-placed' for future
- 2 Icy weather continues to suspend bin collections
- 3 'We need to be heard and treated fairly' – dog groomers demand after not receiving COVID grant
- 4 More than 15 social housing homes open at £6.7 million development
- 5 Police disperse large group near the university
- 6 New welcome signs arrive at railway station
- 7 Herts COVID-19 fatalities surge as UK death toll surpasses major milestone
- 8 Care home 'delighted' with COVID-19 vaccine rollout
- 9 Police warn FIFA Tournament 'not a reason to break the current COVID rules' and issue fines
- 10 Even more pics of fun in the snow in Welwyn Hatfield
You can sign up to the Sleep easy campaign by going online and registering at http://www.events.ymca.org.uk/sleepeasy.
Alternatively, call fundraising officer Sally Mayor on 01707 290717 or email email@example.com