Seven weeks left to sign up for Sleep Easy campaign
THERE are exactly seven weeks left until Central Herts YMCA’s Sleep Easy night takes place outside the Galleria in Hatfield.
To raise awareness of the problems facing homeless people, the WGC-based charity is hoping to get 200 people to spend an evening under the stars, to better understand the trails of living life on the streets, especially during winter.
The WHT is backing the campaign, and reporter Ross Logan will be one of those camping outside the Comet Way leisure complex on Saturday, January 30.
If you don’t think homelessness is a problem that affects you, consider this: an estimated 380,000 people are classed as homeless in the UK, and Welwyn Hatfield is currently one of the top 10 local authorities in England for families recently classified as homeless.
Meanwhile, the YMCA shelter in WGC is currently housing 123 people.
You may also want to watch:
One of those is Jo Norman, who told the WHT this week about how organisations like the YMCA helped her get back on her feet. “When I moved into the YMCA I had many problems,” she said. “The YMCA staff made me realise how important life is and what I could achieve. If it wasn’t for them I’m not sure where I’d be now. They pointed me in the right direction and involved me in voluntary work at the YMCA shop in WGC.”
“I am now the assistant manager of the YMCA furniture shop in Stevenage.”
- 1 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 2 Supermarket evacuated and fire services called following ‘strong smell of gas’
- 3 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 4 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 5 Drugs worth £50,000 found in van pulled over for fly-tipping
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Student wins prestigious cyber security award and trip to NASA
- 8 Chatty duo want to help build community with conversation
- 9 Do you have the unclaimed £1 million winning lottery ticket bought in Welwyn Hatfield?
- 10 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
You can sign up to the Sleep easy campaign by going online and registering at http://www.events.ymca.org.uk/sleepeasy.
Alternatively, call fundraising officer Sally Mayor on 01707 290717 or email firstname.lastname@example.org