School sports pavilion approved in Potters Bar
PLANS to build a sports pavilion at a school in Potter Bar have been given the green light by Hertsmere Borough Council.
Planning officers have approved the application from Dame Alice Owen’s School. The Dugdale Hill Lane school had asked the council for permission to build the structure as a replacement for the cricket pavilion which was destroyed by arsonists in February 2009.
The pavilion, which will feature a disabled toilet and a small tea room, will be constructed from brick and is expected to cost the school between �150,000 and �200,000.
The work will be carried out by London-based construction company Cosmur.
Director of sport Ian Breeze welcomed the council’s decision and told the Potters Bar Edition that staff were “very excited” by the news.
You may also want to watch:
“We think construction will start around Easter and it should be finished in time for the new school year in September,” he said.
“The first use that the school will make of it is for rugby and football changing rooms.”
- 1 Hertsmere MP Oliver Dowden appointed Tory co-chairman but loses secretary role
- 2 Headteacher calls out 'dangerous' and 'inconsiderate' parking from parents outside school
- 3 12 year old girl hospitalised after being hit by car
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Stonehills road section to reopen soon - but delays to other work
- 6 18 Insulate Britain protesters arrested at M25 and A1 demonstrations
- 7 Application could see two festival sites next to each other
- 8 Historic Green Belt site under threat
- 9 M25 by South Mimms blocked by climate protesters
- 10 Boy hit by car during Hatfield altercation
From 2011 onwards, the multi-sport pavilion will also be used by the third and fourth teams from Potters Bar Cricket Club.
And Mr Breeze said the school was hoping to secure the services of a celebrity from the cricket world to officially open the building in the autumn.
He smiled: “We have got someone in mind but you will have to wait and see who that is!”